1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

In the name of our Lord and Savior . . . can I have your autograph?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Piotr Rasputin, Aug 16, 2010.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Anyone who covered the men's basketball team in Beijing will have some good stories about the Chinese media that descended on practice each day.

My favorite is the guy who brought Kobe Bryant a present on his birthday.

2. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

It happens post-Olympics, too -- not surprising with the regular visits by NBA stars during the offseason.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I remember after David Wells' perfect game, Al Trautwig interviewed him, and at the end of the interview, on air, asked Wells to autograph his scorecard from the game. Wells obliged. I rolled my eyes.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Are there any local TV or radio guys doing the games that are not homers? The most critical thinig they might say is that a guy did in fact strikeout the last time at the plate.

Not that suprising that he would do this with his position. I also agree that the girl who worked for sooeypigarkansassports.com should have been smarter than wearing the UF hat while on the clock.

5. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Hilarious. Every culture is different, even in sports reporting.

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Interesting take on both the Tebow and Arkansas incidents:

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/700058001/Too-often-sports-journalist-is-really-just-a-fan.html

7. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

Has it come out yet who these autograph seekers work for, even a generic description as in website, radio station?

8. BobSacamano

BobSacamano Member

Funniest thing to me in recent memory was a thick-goggled fantasy writer from some dotcom 'accidentally' engaging the starting pitcher in casual conversation. He whined to me that it happened by chance while interviewing another player, and all he said was 'Hey.'

I immediately stepped away. Last thing I need is for the team PR to eyeball my pass and ban me by association. Haven't seen the slimy guy since, either.

Anyhow, is there a real, unwritten etiquette on not wearing team hats to events? I never wear a baseball hat to a baseball game, but I will wear a baseball hat to a football game. It's not out of fandom, but fashion. I like to match.

9. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Unless you're on a baseball team and about to play, baseball hats are about as professional as ripped jeans and a wife-beater tank top.

Just my opinion, though. And, seriously, I have no room to talk.

10. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Hey now!

I worked for a "fanboi website" when I covered D.C. United, but I never asked for any autographs. Instead, I asked difficult questions about tactics and the like that pissed off the coaches. :D

11. CitizenTino

CitizenTino Active Member

OK, I have to know: What was the present?

If you want to wear a hat while working, there's only one viable option:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

Where would one go to buy a hat like that? Anyone know a good place?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted