1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

In the market for a new mattress

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KYSportsWriter, Apr 8, 2009.

1. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

JD, how much of a payment are we talking? I've actually thought about getting a Tempur-Pedic bed because they are such great beds, but they're so damn expensive.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

get a free one with stains.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

You offering?

4. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Go to Craigslist. You can probably find one for $15 that a hooker slept, had sex and died on.

5. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

You can always turn it over and sleep on the other side.

6. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

Well, the significant other arrived in town Sunday and of course insisted right away we must go get a new bed, king-size with all new mattress, etc. So yesterday we went mattress shopping. Even though I had just bought a mattress for my full-size bed two years ago, I had no idea how advanced this has gotten now. First, you give them some info: height, age, etc. Then you lie down on this thing that looks like a bed but is actually a computer and it measures your pressure points. It tells you on a 1-4, color-coded scale what kind of mattress you should get. I was 4, red, which is firm and the SO was 2-3, blue/green, medium. You can even get the mattress half and half to match your reading. But we found a kinda soft red 4 so decided that was good enough for both of us. Bottom line, $2,200 later we were out the door. But I'm of the belief that your bed/mattress determines a lot for your life and if we're going to be happy we need that. At least we bought a mattress made by a Michigan company, King Koil. I would tell you KY, to spend at least $500 and get something with a guarantee. Ours has a 15-year guarantee. Good luck.

7. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

I got a really good queen sized one at Nebraska Furniture Mart. Has a 15 year warranty on it and is the most comfy bed I've ever slept on. I don't know if you can order one from them or have one anywhere near you, but it's an excellent place to get stuff.

8. sostartled

sostartled Member

I spent $800-something on a King-size Simmons during a friends and family sale. It came with two twin boxsprings, which I don't need and are still in the plastic, so if someone in the DC area is looking, PM me.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

First time I glanced at this thread title I thought you were looking for a new mistress.

10. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Be sure to spend at least $500 on that, too ;)

11. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Seconded. I shelled out the money for a Select Comfort. Best money I've spent in years. If you must skimp, try Sam's Club or Costco. They carry mattresses from time to time.

12. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

If you have time to sleep, you don't care enough about the final product your paper is putting out.

Draft saved Draft deleted