1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

In the market for a new mattress

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KYSportsWriter, Apr 8, 2009.

1. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Mine has seen the end of its days. Holes on both sides, in the middle no less, and one of the springs has somehow broken and is protruding through one side.

I'm not looking to spend a ton; I'd love to find one for less than 200 bucks if possible.

Any recommendations?

2. Walter_Sobchak

Walter_Sobchak Active Member

Re: In the market for a new matress

For $200? Might as well go to the free shit on Craigslist.

I don't think that's something you should skimp on. I got my mattress for just over $500 from 1-800-MATTRESS.

3. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

If that's all you want to spend, you'd be better off getting a decent futon. You can't get a nice mattress for that cheap.

4. KYSportsWriter

I've had a futon before, and it was hell on my back. I don't want to go that route again.

And looking at Furniture Liquidators site is a waste of time.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

If you're going to spend $200 on a mattress, you might as well sleep on the floor

6. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

WOR-TV used to have this consumer reporter named Polly Kreisman who did kick-ass investigative stuff that usually ended up with someone swearing at her in Spanish.

Anyway, she goes mattress shopping one day in the Bronx (or maybe it was Brooklyn) and gets a bargain price on a mattress the guy at <i> Nuevo Mattresso</i> assures her is absolutely brand new. Low overhead keeps the prices low, you see. It looks OK. They buy it, take a chainsaw to it and the inside is full of rust and other impurities. It had been dropped at a dump, re-covered and sold as new.

So if you don't have a lot to spend, get yourself a comfortable couch. Or an air bed with a sleeping bag.

7. KYSportsWriter

I looked on there, and there is a place near my work that I will check out in the next couple of days.

The mattress I have now is just worn out, and I've done what I can to cover the holes when I'm sleeping. I just wish this one hadn't gone to shit, because it's the best I've had.

8. KYSportsWriter

Had a futon when I was still in high school. The mattress was too damn thin for my taste, and I wound up just throwing that on the floor and sleeping like that every night. It was a piece of crap, though, because one of the metal bars broke in the first week.

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

Well, yeah, if you want to buy a cheap metal frame with a two-inch piece of foam as a mattress.

10. KYSportsWriter

But, as my mom put it when she bought it, it was on sale!

11. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Unless you just have no choice, never skimp on a mattress. You spend a third of your life on it, and a crappy mattress can have repercussions on the other two-thirds if it results in poor sleep quality and constant back and joint discomfort.

If the interest is reasonable, I'd even consider financing a good mattress. It's a real quality of life changer, and a good one will last you much longer anyway.

12. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I spent a lot of money -- A LOT -- for my Tempur-Pedic bed, and it's the best investment I ever made. I have less trouble with my back, I sleep better at night, and the bed looks and feels the same as when I bought it seven years ago. It's worth at least checking out. I paid for it over time, and I would do it again if I had to choose between that and replacing conventional mattresses every few years.

Draft saved Draft deleted