1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

In the Interest of Full Disclosure

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Jul 25, 2011.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

10,187 words and one sweet tat

2. FleetFeet

FleetFeet Member

The more I think about this, the more I'm stunned. My guess is there will be an opening at the Chieftain soon. At least, I certainly hope so.

How can the journalistic integrity and judgment of this person, which reportedly holds the title of editor and publisher, ever be trusted again? How many previous stories have been compromised in the Chieftain due to this person's clouded and sorely misguided attempt at being a leader of a community newspaper?

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

4. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Really, I don't get the big deal.

I'm engaged to all my sources.

But the police chief is getting a little big for his britches.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

That doesn't sound that bad.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'm not complaining. It's the readers who are tired of tennis stories.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The Wisconsin State Journal had an oops - they did a story about a medical procedure. Interviewed one of the recipients, before the story ran they interviewed someone from the hospital who didn't mention the patient they featured died a few days earlier. Story runs a couple days later.

9. Harry Doyle

Harry Doyle Member

Don't imagine Mr. Swart is going anywhere...

http://wallowa.com/site/about/

That does go onto say that he sold the paper to a chain (the East Oregonian one), but how can you fire a guy who shoveled the snow (an obvious precursor to his new hobby of shoveling BS)?

I do think, at some point, this needs to come back to Seattle Weekly. Sure, the folks there feel duped. But shouldn't you be vetting these stories a little more? That seems like a pretty basic fact that could have been uncovered pretty quickly. The woman's website has a picture of the two of them together — although I have no idea if that was there before the story ran. Not going to bother reading the story. Started to, but it read very much like a propaganda piece. It doesn't mean its not true, but having her fiance write the story just kills everything.

10. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

Isn't this why we fought the British?

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Check the last sentence here - at least they're disclosing!

http://wilton.patch.com/articles/youth-softball-coach-allegedly-clocks-chief-umpire

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I kept waiting for it to turn out that the author was the umpire.

I feel a little let down.

The last line should have been set off as it's own paragraph. It's a completely independent thought from the previous sentence.

As it is, it gets a little lost.

Draft saved Draft deleted