1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

In Texas, "Canadian" is the new code for "black"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Jan 26, 2008.

1. Overrated

Overrated Guest

I heard this within a week of moving to Texas. Somebody told me if I heard people talking about "Canadians," it meant black people.

I said, "Wow. Black people where I'm from would get angrier you called them a Canadian than if you called them colored."

It's about the only thing I don't like about Texas.

2. kleeda

kleeda Active Member

I wonder if it's regional within Texas? Or a city thing or what. I'm seriously curious. I'll have to ask my friends. But I never heard it in Fort Worth-Dallas, Corpus Christi or San Antonio. I honestly try to avoid Houston.

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Y'all should hear what "Texan" is code for in the other 49 states.

And yes, I am kidding.

4. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Funny you should say that. At lunch with a bunch of people the other day, my buddy says the thing about only steers and queers come from Texas.

I looked at him and said, "You guys know about that?"

5. Michael Echan

Michael Echan Member

Back eight years ago in a Jersey HS.

6. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Outing alert: Michael Echan is former New Jersey high schooler Michael Echan.

7. kleeda

kleeda Active Member

Well, when you're from Texas, there's a lot to live down over the past 45 years. There's "The City Of Hate" Kennedy assassination bit. There's LBJ (mostly a fine president, but with that big Vietnam flaw). There's the senseless James Byrd killing. There's Bush I and II. That's about the brunt of it.

8. Overrated

Overrated Guest

I think you're forgetting Walker, Texas Ranger.

Oh, and the Arlington, Texas Rangers.

9. kleeda

kleeda Active Member

Don't be dissing Walker.

10. Michael Echan

Michael Echan Member

Damn you! How did you ever blow my cover? Great, now I'll have to nuke this name!

11. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Well, when a guy has Brad Renfro as his guardian angel, he needn't worry about Chuck Norris.

And, sorry Michael Echan of New Jersey high school fame. I forgot about the rules.

12. kleeda

kleeda Active Member

Perhaps it is all a ruse, and he is Michael Echan of the Iowa Echans

Draft saved Draft deleted