1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

In Texas, "Canadian" is the new code for "black"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Jan 26, 2008.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Unavailable for comment:

[​IMG]

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I thought this was the best part:

Long derogated as weak-kneed liberals with lax laws and funny monopoly money, Canadians have carried a negative connotation in certain regions of America – but not as a replacement for the N-word.

3. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Canadians have "monopoly money" that is stronger than the American dollar. So, I'm not necessarily sure we should mock their economic system.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Ahh HB he's not. I am pretty sure he is refering to the look of the money and not the Canadian economic system.

5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I knew of guys doing this about 15 years ago where I live. Yes, it's a code word for African-Americans, used in a derisive fashion. Whattya gonna do?

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

That's because they are closer to Canada than they are Brownsville.

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I thought the best part was the guy's explanation that he genuinely thought there were Canadians on the jury. Yeah, they put a lot of foreign nationals on juries in Texas.

8. It would have been a hung jury had the French guy not surrendered to the peer pressure.

9. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Buncha cheese-eating surrender monkeys!

10. kleeda

kleeda Active Member

Born and raised in the Great State, and I must say, this is news to me. Then again, I've only lived there for three of the past nine years. All the racist Texans I know are pretty up front about it. I like that kind better since at least I know who to shoot when anarchy arrives.

11. Michael Echan

Michael Echan Member

The sad thing is that when I read this thread title, I know people that have been using that terminology for years. Great country we live in, huh?

12. kleeda

kleeda Active Member

So this is an interesting thought. Short of outing yourself (and that may be difficult), where have you heard this term used in this way?
    I have not heard it in Florida, Texas or Connecticut. In Connecticut the code words are "Population Density" and "Character Of The Town."

Draft saved Draft deleted