1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

In seven years the US is expected to become the No. 1 producer of crude oil.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by old_tony, Oct 3, 2013.

1. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-11-12/u-s-to-overtake-saudi-arabia-s-oil-production-by-2020-iea-says.html

How big of a surprise is this to you? And what does this mean for the future?

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

It will be interesting to see if this actually "insulates" the U.S. from supply disruptions in the Middle East, or if big oil companies will continue to jack prices up every time a mullah says, "boo."

That said, I think energy independence has long been a goal of U.S. policy makers on both sides of the aisle, so I fully expect both sides to bitch about it the day it happens. :D

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Not much, honestly, in terms of consumer price at the pump. Not unless the government takes over some of the oil companies and regulates prices. Price gets high enough and there might be public support for that.

4. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Shouldn't be that surprising, given that the link is 11 months old.

5. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I have no idea if this will really happen, but if it does, we'll find a way to screw it up.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

We've actually INCREASED oil production the last several years? But... but... but....I thought it had come to a crashing halt and was plummeting ever since ... "that guy" ...

... well, you know....

7. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

I'm scared of what Saudi Arabia becomes if they aren't being bribed with our oil money, so I'm not sure if this is great news.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

We can have oceans and oceans of oil, give ourselves oil baths, fill our Olympic swimming pools with oil.

Won't do us any good if we can't refine it.

That choke point in the supply chain is easily gamed by the oil companies, and that will forever keep gas prices high.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Somalia with palaces.

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Sunni version of Iran after the Sauds are overthrown.

11. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't be surprised if the oil companies paid the mullahs to say boo or make all kinds of blood-curdling threats. Got to protect those profits.

12. Double J

Double J Active Member

Good point. John D. Rockefeller didn't become the richest man in history by actually bringing the oil out of the ground.

Draft saved Draft deleted