1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

In poverty? May not have to pay back student loans

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spup1122, Jul 23, 2007.

1. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070723/SCHOOLS/707230380

Congress is poised to make big changes to the government programs tapped by millions of students to pay for college. The biggest of these for students: a cap on what low-income borrowers have to pay back each month on their federal student loans.

Measures passed by the House last week -- and one by the House earlier this month -- come in response to growing concerns about student debt. About two in three recent college graduates have loan debt, and over the past decade, the average amount has grown 50 percent faster than inflation.

Meanwhile, just over the last two years interest rates have risen enough to more than double the total interest some borrowers will eventually have to repay on their loans.

So apparently, you have to make 150 percent of the poverty line before you even have to start paying, if this act passes. Maybe there's a good reason to be a young journalist after all. :D

Seriously, though. As someone who is starting to pay back her student loans, this could seriously help some graduating students. I have several media major friends who went more than a year without finding a job but still had to start paying back loans after six months. I got a deference because I was moving at the time of my repayment start, but I got lucky. They don't approve those for everyone.

2. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

That's good news for young journalists everywhere.

Would have been welcome news for me when I was struggling.

3. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

Here in Nova Scotia, news came yesterday that a petition is being circulated to get rid of interest payments of of student loans (7-11 percent). I am not so sure government will listen to students and university officials. It would be of benefit especially to student who can't afford to pay interest on student loans.

Draft saved Draft deleted