1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"In Plain Sight" ... anyone watch?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by mediaguy, Jun 6, 2008.

1. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Curious if anybody watched USA's new Sunday night show, "In Plain Sight." Built around the witness protection program. Has Mary McCormack, who was Howard Stern's wife in "Private Parts" and was a military advisor on West Wing the last few seasons. Not too much else to it ...

Watched the pilot Sunday night, can't tell if it's worth sticking with, even as a summer show. Lots of voiceover, so-so writing, and they're trying way too hard to sex up McCormack's character. And I worry there's only so many riffs on the witness-protection you-can't-ever-call-home frustrations, etc. ...

Just curious if anybody else watched, what they thought. USA's running commercials every break for it ...

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Since I've been following the Governator's pleas to keep movies/TV shows from being filmed outside California -- Bill Richardson's offered quite a few tax incentives for TV execs to move taping to New Mexico -- I'm interested in how they treat the unique setting of this show. Not many shows are set in the heart of ... Albuquerque.

(I also have an intimate knowledge of ABQ, so I'm wondering if they'll film a scene inside Frontier or discuss green chile at some point!)

That said, I thought the writing was turrrrible [/barkley] in the first show. I mean, laugh-out-loud awful. ... But I can watch Mary McCormack ("Mystery, Alaska") all day, so I'll give it a chance for a little longer.

3. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

I probably won't watch it, but Mary McCormack can make even the most insipid David Spade movies watchable, like "Dickie Roberts, Child Star."

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

It was interesting that about two months ago, when they started promoting the show, they had a nude shot of McCormick and emphasized the quirky aspects of the show, making it seem Picket Fences-esque. Then they switched to an ad campaign that made the show seem as earnest as Without a Trace. Strange.

5. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Add me to the list of those who love Mary McCormack ... that way she twists her lips and dips her eyes downward while flipping her hair behind her ear. She's my favorite girl next door.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Nikki Hiltz who plays McCormack's sis on the show is pretty nice looking too. It's a decent show. I like that her car is a piece of crap, and, like "Breaking Bad", is filmed in Albuquerque (didn't even need a spell check) - that said, I was hoping for a bit more.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

Rather odd but not terrible show.
    And the mere presence of Mary McCormack can very easily make up for the shows many flaws.

8. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

I wanted to like it (like others, largely because I like Mary McCormack), but it just did nothing for me. It's like it was trying to be the next entry in the cable "biggish name actress in quirky role" thing, but there's just nothing to distinguish it.

9. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I think it's because the proven demographic for non-CSI crime dramas is an educated, professional female. Thus the recent boom in female character-driven shows (The Closer, Saving Grace, this one). If the core audience thinks this is some Paris-Hilton-as-a-crime-fighter laddy show, they won't watch.

I thought it wasn't bad, but it wasn't great. The family scenes grated on my nerves. And how much plastic surgery has Lesley Ann Warren had? But I like that the main character seems to have a bit of Lorelai Gilmore in her. I'll keep watching.

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

But why the switch? Did they finally catch on to your good point? Because they were definitely selling the quirk and the skin at first.

The Closer is outstanding. Saving Grace...meh. I just can't get past wanting Holly Hunter to eat a burger or 10.

11. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Couldn't get past Kyra Sedgewick's over-the-top drawl.

I'd forgotten about Lesley Anne Warren for a moment. Is her character supposed to be constantly drunk? Just flaky? Couldn't tell ...

12. SlickWillie71

SlickWillie71 Member

Mary McCormick=hotness. Saw bits and pieces of the show, but she's enough to make me add it to Tivo, if for no other reason to see her. Yummy....

Draft saved Draft deleted