1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

In Philly, Gonzo and more ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Reacher, Nov 20, 2008.

1. Reacher

Reacher Member

What do people think of the Philadelphia Inquirer's Gonzo page two experiment? I don't get it, but maybe the world has passed me by.

I actually appreciate that the Inquirer and Daily News seem to be trying to adjust to the Internet age. But too often their adjustments just seem dumb. Like printing huge excerpts from blogs.

Uh, guys. Blogs get a lot of attention. But that doesn't mean that printing them in the paper qualifies as innovative. Or interesting. It's not.

The Inquirer has also all but abandoned high school coverage. Good move or bad?

The Daily News continues to do a tremendous job with city high schools. DN high school guy Ted Silary is one of the very best.

2. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Saw that at the World Series. The page 2 e-mails -- three columnists e-mail each other, almost like a series of memos posing as a notes column -- were awful. Very forced.

3. Reacher

Reacher Member

All three are very talented writers. Bob Ford and Phil Sheridan are terrific columnists.

But this format ...

I don't know what the future of newspapers looks like. But I know this isn't it. It's painful to look at.

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

The Inquirer has more problems than Carter has liver pills. The place is a shell of what it used to be and it's sad. The employees are bitter and disenchanted. The readers are being jipped and the bottom line is that the new owners are having money woes.

5. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

6. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I like the name of the page (Sports Wit'), but if you're not a cheesesteak fan you don't get the joke. Could be a worse use of space, I suppose.

7. mjp1542

mjp1542 Member

Outside of the fact that he writes like Simmons, talking about his friends using their awful nicknames, it's not bad. You can tell he's a decent writer, and at least they're taking a chance. It's when they let someone like Frank Fitzpatrick and his numbingly boring Morning Bytes column on that page that ruffles my feathers.

Draft saved Draft deleted