1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

In-person Job Interviews

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Writer, Dec 15, 2018.

1. Writer

Writer Member

I'm waiting to hear back if I am a finalist for a job I interviewed for. If I am, I'd have to go and do an in-person interview. My question is, what should I tell my current employer? I would be gone a couple of days for travel and the interview.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I always tried to arrange those things on what would have been my regular "weekend" days. If I could not do that I would just put in for a couple days vacation. One interview conveniently occurred during a vacation to see family.

3. Burning vacation days sucks but that would be the easiest way to get the time off. If you ask for the time off and they give it to you it's none of their business what you do.

4. Writer

Writer Member

Thank you for the advice. Have never done an in-person interview for a professional job and was surprised when this large paper said they do one for the finalists.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
  5. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

If you fly out, just make sure you take advantage of every minute you're there, primarily looking for places to live. If they'll pay for it, try to get the earliest flight in and latest flight out to maximize your exposure to the city. I once made the mistake of flying in and out of a way-too-big city in the same day even though I was offered to be put up in a hotel. Decided to fly back because I needed to get work done at my other job. Was offered the position, but just couldn't commit to moving my wife somewhere I had no time to scope out housing on my own (and lacked the funds to fly us back there to check it out). Whatever this place will pay for, take advantage of the opportunity.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
    Tweener likes this.
  6. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Try to arrange the interview with the prospective employer on your two days off that you normally get. If you need two specific days off that aren't your normal days off, then use vacation/personal time. If your boss asks you what you're doing, tell him it's a family matter and leave it at that. As thizzelle said, it's none of their damn business what you do in your off time so long as you're not breaking the law or being a public nuisance.

Next, there's this ...

It still baffles me when I read comments like this. What kind of dumb mother fucker hires someone they've never met, discussed their profession, reached an agreement about certain subjects, and shook hands on it? I don't know when or where this shit started, but it's the most unprofessional fucking practice in the business.

Wherever this job is that is bringing you in for the interview, they clearly have their shit straight. I would assume it's a pretty good job, with good people to work for and with. Good luck!

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I've been taking vacation days for 35+ years, and only once have I had a supervisor inquire IN ADVANCE where I was going --- and that was because I went completely off my usual grid and took two weeks off in February.

8. Human_Paraquat

Human_Paraquat Well-Known Member

It mostly stems from budget cuts. Smaller (and even mid-sized) papers can’t afford to fly people in or bring in multiple finalists and put them up, so they rely on skype or just phone interviews.

I agree with you, however, that it’s cheap and short-sighted. Companies should see that face-to-face time as an investment in their product rather than a luxury.

9. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I had an editor who would always ask what our plans were when we requested time off so she would know how flexible we were if something came up. I was of the mind it was none on her business. I could spend a week at home watching TV and eating Cheetos, I earned the time and could do what I please. It wasn’t my problem if something broke on my beat or if someone else wanted the same time off.

10. Writer

Writer Member

Thank you everyone for the advice. I appreciate it!

11. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Another reason newspapering is the worst profession in the world. Nobody has time off to even go do a proper interview and managers who hire people without flying them in are rewarded (got to save $$$s so the CEOs get their vacation homes). The few peons who still have jobs are tied to their jobs 24/7 every single day. Sickening.

12. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

LOL. "If something came up...." Like every day in this gosh-awful business. You can't even take a vacation without "worrying" about something "coming up" and you being asked to come in. Glad you stood up to them but I'm sure you were thought poorly of by your superiors. You are working 24/7 a day even on your vacation in many shops.

Draft saved Draft deleted