1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

In need of a fun place to go

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by grrlhack, Jun 29, 2006.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

You're near Atlanta? Hell, drive four hours down to Savannah for a couple days. One of the most beautiful cities in America.

If you wanna splurge, get a hotel on Tybee overlooking the ocean and, after shopping all day along the river, go get drunk off your ass at the crab place on the side of the road halfway between Tybee and Savannah. Helluva trip right there. 8)

2. Driver 8

Driver 8 Member

That's some good advice, right there.

3. Song Seven

Song Seven Member

and watch a team on pace to lose 100 games get rolled in their own crib? where do i sign up?

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Oh, and re: Savannah ...

Take a carriage ride in the evening (either around sunset, when it's beautiful, or in the dark, when it's creepy (in a good way)) ... Doesn't matter which one you go on, they're all entertaining (and informative, if you care). Took the "haunted Savannah" tour once with a group of, I dunno, like three other couples, and it was great fun. Savannah's got a ton of history.

5. grrlhack

grrlhack Member

Buck,
    I love Savannah and I'll keep it open as an option, especially since a former boss works over there now. But I kind of wanted to go somewhere I hadn't been before and I've been there many times, including out to Tybee and I've stuffed myself silly at that crab place tucked out of the way between the two. Oh, and have you eaten at Mrs. Wilkes' Boardinghouse? Oh god, talking about stuffing yourself with Southern cooking!

6. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

Uh, yeah, it kind of is. Canada Day is July 1.

Get up here, Grrl. It's jazz festival time, plenty of free outdoor shows in addition to the indoor venues.
    Went out last night and watched the Neville Brothers with about 100,000 of my friends.
    Plenty more where that came from. Good weather coming. Nice and warm.
    And direct flights from Atlanta with Delta.

7. prhack

prhack Member

Asheville's a great town. Just went up there a couple of weeks ago. Stayed at a really nice Bed & Breakfast (www.cumberlandfalls.com) that was walking distance from downtown. Did the Biltmore thing on Saturday (seems like they open up a new wing of the house every year) and just hung out downtown the rest of the time. Blue Ridge Parkway goes right by the city and Mount Mitchell is only a short distance away.

Chattanooga's also a fun trip. Lots to do up there.

8. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Joe's Crab Shack

"Live alligators and exotic birds"

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

And if you go to Savannah, stop by the Savannah College of Art and Design and say hi to some friends of mine.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

grrl,

Let us know what you choose. Oh, and don't forget Branson, Mo. I hear they have an Olive Garden.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

And a Red Lobster.

12. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

more for savannah -- the sand gnats have a doubleheader saturday at lovely grayson stadium

Draft saved Draft deleted