1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

In need of a fun place to go

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by grrlhack, Jun 29, 2006.

1. grrlhack

grrlhack Member

Keep 'em coming! Those are great suggestions. I DO like outdoorsy stuff. I've never been to West Virginia for the rafting, but I've rafted all around the Chattanooga area. I used to live up there. Chicago is definitely high on my list right now!

2. markvid

markvid Guest

2 days isn't enough to do Chicago justice.

3. It's the New River Gorge... Finest (commercial) whitewater rafting on the east coast.
    Lots of rafting companies to chose from.
    There are other nice tourist spots there too. New River Gorge Bridge, Beauty Mountain, the Mystery Hole.

I was a former raft guide there for sevens years. It was a blast!
    PM if you want some more info.

4. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Go to White Sulphur Springs. On the way, you can go through Ghent. The locals are too dumb to pronounce it with a hard G.

5. leo1

leo1 Active Member

stay the fuck away from miami this time of year. it's fucking brutal here with the humidity. otoh, if you don't mind unbearable humidity, i hear you can get cheap flights down this way this time of year because it's the offseason, so to speak.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yeah, but that's no reason not to go. Chicago is great. Probably get a good fare from Atlanta to Chicago.

7. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Delta likely would have the best prices, or am I wrong?

8. markvid

markvid Guest

You're right, but I think the first time in Chicago, you need to do it right.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

grrrl, call in sick Monday and make it a 3-day trip to Chicago.

10. John

John Well-Known Member

But you're never going to take it all in during four or five days, either, so I'd head up there for two days -- picking out a couple of things to do ahead of time -- and then maybe come back again next year. That's what I do with New York.

11. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

If you want to go to the beach, as you originally suggested, but don't want 4th of July crowds, try Bermuda. Not nearly as hot as the Caribbean; out of season cheap; and the flights don't cost much. Not much to do - but that's kind of the point.

12. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

You also could go up to Minneapolis and get hammered with Jonesy.

Draft saved Draft deleted