1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

In Nashvegas, need some suggestions

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Freelance Hack, Sep 16, 2008.

1. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

OK, I'm attending a convention at the Opryland Hotel -- not actually staying at the resort, but nearby.

Not a huge country music guy. Preds preseason hasn't started yet.

Any suggestions? Leaving's not one, since I've got to be here through Thursday and the power's still out at home.

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

If you don't like country, you're in the wrong place.

However, I suggest the Country Music HOF and the Ryman if you have the time.

3. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Let me ask my fathers. They've been to Nashville a couple of times. One of them listens to classical/opera and only likes a handful of tunes that aren't in that genre. He might have a better idea of what to do that isn't all country music.

But yeah, the Ryman is great for the whole Grand Ol' Opry.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Walk down Broadway.. you don't have to like country, just people watch... same goes for going to the Wildhorse..

5. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Even if you don't like country, you need to hit Tootsie's. Best dump on the planet.

6. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Even if you're not into country music, the Country Music HOF is worth the trip, if for nothing else than to see the set of Hee Haw.

If you're in town on a Friday/Saturday (and free), go to the Opry. It's an interesting experience, especially if you're into radio. The Opry is the longest-running radio show in history, and it's still run like a radio show. It's a cool experience (and I haven't gone to the Opry in ages). Usually it's at the Opry House in the summer (right next to the resort), and at the Ryman in the winter. If anyone is playing the Ryman, go.

Grand Old Golf is a decent minigolf course, not far from where you're staying. A little kitschy (it's minigolf), but it's pretty good.

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I've recommended Demo's (great pasta, thick steaks, dirt-cheap prices) in downtown so often they should cut me a royalty check, but I still stand by it. And the Gerst Haus by the Titans' stadium for German food.

No idea if it would even be open, but if you've never seen Vandy's Memorial Gym, you need to sneak a peek, if only to wonder what acid the architects must have dropped.

I haven't been, but the Frist Center art museum is supposed to be top notch.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Yeah. You're the only one..

9. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Mulligan's Pub, 2nd Ave. Get the stew and a Guinness.

Printers Alley is a must and right around the corner.

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Hey, I'm doing all I can to keep the restaraunt economy propped up on your side of town. The Niki's West waitstaff was bitching like the Great Depression had hit yesterday.

11. pallister

pallister Guest

Tootsie's is a crowded mess. Go get a burger at Robert's down the street.

Check the Mercy Lounge or any of the other no-country venues. There's a lot more to the music scene in Nashville than country. Even the Ryman books non-country acts. One of the best concerts I've ever seen was Gov't Mule at the Ryman.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Ms. Slappy's folks love Niki's... I find it low-grade dog food....

And Pall... Tootsie's IS a crowded mess. But you have to go once to say you did. It's like Wall Drug with booze...

Draft saved Draft deleted