1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

In-n-Out: Overrated.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by wicked, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

My wife and I went to Five Guys, which I like very much, this weekend and spent $20 for two burgers, a regular fries and two drinks. I can get four double-double meals at In-N-Out for about that much. That's twice as expensive, isn't it? I call that significant.

In my mind, it's almost a wash between the two (and I really like In-N-Out as well). I think I give a slight edge to Five Guys' burgers and to some extent I can take or leave the fries at either place. In the end you pretty much have to look at each like this: They're both top-of-the line fast food burgers.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  2. Johnny Chase

Johnny Chase Member

I went to In N Out for the second time in my life when I was in Vegas last year. Just like th first time, it was amazing (the place was also packed, we couldn't find a seat).

Haven't had Five Guys but one just opened up not too far away, so I'll have to check it out.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

No In N Out up here but the first Five Guys opened in the 'burbs outside Toronto a few weeks ago. Will try it and give my two cents worth.

4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

In N Out is definitely an upgrade over McDs, BK, etc. As people above stated, the service is much better, the whole dining experience is better.

Just switched jobs and there is a Five Guys nearby. A very nice experience but not even close to "fast food." More, made to order.

$9 vs. $5, apples to oranges.

5. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I live about an hour and a half form the nearest In N Out, so it's a must have when I go out of town. I agree, the fries are nothing special, but the burgers are far better than any other fast food place. A double-double animal style is everything it's hyped up to be ... but then again, I guess I just bought into the California hype. Then again, we all like what we're familiar with. If you grew up with Five Guys, then that's what you remember and like. In N Out is here, it isn't McDonalds, Burger King or Jack in the Box and it's about 1,000 times cheaper than Carl's Jr. (Hardee's for you Midwesterners).

6. chase.colston

chase.colston Member

Getting an In-N-Out in Garland, just east of Dallas, pretty soon. Can't wait to see what the fuss is about.

7. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

But a double-double animal style isn't cooked to order? I've never seen a burger under a heat lamp at In N Out. Everything about Five Guys is still pretty much fast food. Except the price. It's very good and the extra topping choices can be nice, but I don't think how it's prepared is the reason it's twice as expensive.

8. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

I have to chime in on the "don't appreciate it until you don't have it any more" side here. I grew up in SoCal, and kind of took In-N-Out for granted until I moved east. I've been back several times over the years, and I ALWAYS make sure an In-N-Out stop is part of my itinerary.

I'm in the South now and have never tried Five Guys, although I suppose I will one of these days.

BTW. did the whole bumper sticker thing eventually run its course, or do people still do that?

9. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Haven't seen one in years. I assume it ran its course.

10. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

http://www.kumascorner.com/

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I would rather fuck Art Modell's corpse than eat In-n-Out.

12. Orange Hat Bobcat

Orange Hat Bobcat Active Member

Wait a minute, YGBFKM. That place is in Chicago and it's closed on St. Patrick's Day? Really? On that fact alone, it's out of consideration. (I grew up in Chicago. I know how big March 17 is. I appreciate that you want to be able to enjoy it, but you're a restaurant. Fucking open.)

Draft saved Draft deleted