1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

In-N-Out expanding to Dallas?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Football_Bat, Apr 28, 2010.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

This time it seems more legit though ... http://eatsblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2010/04/in-n-out-the-noncommittal-word.html

Doesn't Carl's Jr. basically serve the same food as Hardee's?

And playthrough, you're right, people overvalue things they can't get.

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Carl's Jr. bought out Hardee's in 1997 and kept the name, but rebranded the franchise with the trademark star and menu items. So the name is the only thing different; they're the same chain basically.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I remember back in the day when Coors was this rare, exotic treat in the East. No I wish that damn Burt Reynolds had never brought it to take up room on the cooler shelves.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I grew up on In-N-Out burgers, and if it expands further east than where it is now, yeah, it loses its appeal.

There's a great book about the Snyders, who founded and built the company, and their insistence (as opposed to other SoCal-founded fast-food restaurants, McDonald's and Carl's Jr.) of massive expansion because the Snyders insisted on the fresh/never frozen ingredients and the customer service. It wasn't until their sons took over that expansion went where it did. And even now, the furthest places (St. George, Utah, and Tucson) are within distance of products that are trucked in that day from In-N-Out's suppliers in SoCal.

I'd be surprised if this is happening. But if it does, it'd be kinda sad.

Oh, and definitely not overrated.

5. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

there are already a handful of carl's jr in the dallas area

6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Five Guys not any better than a burger from Chili's or Crapplebees? Are you high?
    And really, it's not THAT expensive. Like $4 for a burger, $2 for fries and $2 for a drink. And you can always split the fries with like 3 people. That said, you get Five Guys at Nats Park and the price doubles. :)

When I lived in Alabama, we had a Backyard Burger, but it went away before I knew it. Ate there once or twice. Not bad, but Five Guys kicks their ass.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Sadly, I can count on one hand how many In N Out Burgers I've had in the last decade. The last time I was within 20 minutes of one, I was given the choice of In N Out or a Steakhouse and I went with the Steakhouse.

As a native Californian, I would argue that they're definitely not overrated.

8. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Any ya'll catching the butcher burger trend?
    They seem to be popping up around my place.
    Butcher shop in the back, hamburger joint up front. They grind the meat that day and you pick the wad oif meat you want from the cooler. They cut the potatoes when you order the french fries and then cook everything up.
    Not a lot of choice on the menu, so womenfolk tend to hate them, but I just ate lunch at one.
    Menu: Hamburger, Cheeseburger, french fries.
    You can get bacon and things like lettuce and tomato, plus shakes but that's it.

9. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

When I visited California, I would binge on In-N-Out. One four-day work trip to the Bay Area, I ate there three times.

I now live 1/2 a mile from an In N Out. I eat it maybe 5 times a year, mostly when I have friends or family in town from back east. I still love it, and I haven't had McDonald's or any other fast-food burger since moving West. But I definitely don't eat it as much as I thought I would.

10. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Yeah, I remember meeting up at the airport with some people to go to a corporate retreat, and they insisted on stopping on the way out to the hotel to pick up some low-rent fast food -- it might have been Taco Bell -- because they couldn't get it in their neck of the woods and were desperate to taste its magic once again.

11. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Have had In-N-Out, Five Guys and the best -- Backyard Burgers, which is a Southeastern chain.

Rank em:
    1. Backyard Burgers
    2. In-N-Out
    3. Five Guys

12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Except that Hardee's to-die-for biscuits are not the same as Carl's crappy ones. Damnit.

BTW, I'll trade you East Coasters In-n-Out if we can have Cracker Barrel in SoCal.

Draft saved Draft deleted