1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

In-N-Out Burger's 30-Year-Old Billionaire Owner

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by YankeeFan, Feb 5, 2013.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Had lunch at Five Guys today. I'd take a picture of the receipt and post it, but I don't have the first clue how to do that.

Little cheeseburger $4.59
    Regular fries $2.99
    Regular drink (free refills) $2.19
    Subtotal $9.77
    Tax $0.49
    Total $10.26

First, it's stupid to compare Five Guys to McDonalds, Checkers, or any other awful fast food place. I don't consider Five Guys a fast foot place for a couple reasons. 1. You don't get your food all that fast. I sat at a table for probably 6-8 minutes waiting on my number to be called. Which is fine. Everything is made fresh. Burgers are thrown on the grill, not put in a microwave to be heated up. You rarely, if ever, have to wait more than a couple minutes for your food at McDonalds. 2. There's no drive-thru. Five Guys is NOT fast food.

And the "little" cheeseburger is just as big as any burger you're getting at McDonalds, save for maybe the Big Mac. And the "little" cheeseburger is 100 times better than a fucking Big Mac. That's indisputable.

The "regular" fries? I ate about 40% of them. Maybe. Add another $6.50 to the total (another burger and drink) and you have a meal for two for around $16. The wife and I rarely eat out and pay less than $16 bucks for it. Maybe the Peruvian chicken place down the street, but barely, and that's it.

If a "little" cheeseburger, regular fries and a re-fillable drink isn't enough food for you, well, you probably shouldn't be eating at Five Guys in the first place.

Also, does McDonalds put A-1 Sauce on your burger? I THINK NOT!!!

So compare Five Guys to In N Out, which I've never had. But don't compare it to McDonalds or Checkers or whatever. Sure, you can order off McDonald's Value Menu and eat for $5. But the quality blows compared to Five Guys or In N Out, I'm sure. There's no comparison.

2. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

The size of the fries at Five Guys means I never get fries there. I don't see the point in giving people that amount of fries when the vast majority won't finish them. Just seems wasteful.

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

The little cheeseburger falls one patty and three strips of bacon short, though.

4. JackReacher

Why do you care how wasteful they are? That's their problem, not yours. And it doesn't seem like all that big of a problem since they're still in business.

5. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

It's not that I care as much as it just doesn't make sense to me. And everyone's different, but I'm not ordering something when I know I'll be throwing at least 50% of it out at the end of the meal.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  6. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Never had In-N-Out, but it doesn't take much to kick Five Guys' ass seeing as they insist on burning the flavor out of their burgers by cooking them all past well-done.

7. JackReacher

I mean....fair enough. But that makes no sense. You only buy from places that give you the proper portion of whatever it is you're ordering?

8. JackReacher

Those fries are horrible as leftovers.

9. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I often will go to Five Guys with an hour-plus of downtime, bring a magazine or newspaper and much through fries slowly for that time after finishing my burger. I still usually leave about 25 to 40 percent. But I have on occasion finished bacon cheeseburger and order of fries.

The key to Five Guys fries: cajun style.

10. JackReacher

I like the cajun style, too. But at the Five Guys closest to my house, they put way too much seasoning on it. So I just go with the regular.

11. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I agree with both of these posts, actually. I hate wasting food, but those fries are also terrible as leftovers. So I just don't get them.

I don't see why that's strange to you, though. Yes, I generally buy food that either I will eat in one sitting or can be had multiple times. Since when did not wanting to waste food become a strange phenomenon?

12. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I swear I've read about JackReacher throwing away crab-cake sandwiches dozens of times on this board. Maybe he hates starving Africans.

Draft saved Draft deleted