1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

In my next life, I want to be a contractor

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, Sep 8, 2008.

1. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

You're right; this isn't the norm. The norm is far worse.

Take it from someone who just went through a three-month home remodeling project. Those nine and a half months were miserable, every damn day. It's a really good thing I don't own a gun.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Sorry about your subcontractor. Did they do electrical too?

3. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

No, it's not the norm. Just by their nature, remodeling projects are stressful to begin with, so even if a job goes well, it is still miserable for the homeowner. A three-month project that turned into a nine and a half month job means you might have wanted to look for a new contractor around month three or so.

There really are good contractors out there. We take enormous pride in the work that we do and have spent many years building a positive reputation. Is it fair of me to say that plagiarism is the norm in the journalism industry only because of a recent story to that affect here in my home county?

Admit that you had a bad experience, but please don't say this type of thing is the normal operating procedure for the majority of contractors.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Don't take it personally. My father runs a car dealership. My grandfather was a car salesman. I'll share jokes about used car salesmen with you all night long.

My other grandfather was a contractor, btw. He told me to fire today's contractor and find a new one. But after it taking six weeks to get a crew out there, I'm not about to start the process over again.

5. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

Does your work at all involve the installation of kitchen appliances? 'Cause if so, I personally will be there between 8-10 a.m. :D

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

We gutted the kitchen down to the studs three summers ago. If a marriage can survive a complete kitchen remodel, then it'll survive anything.

Draft saved Draft deleted