1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

In Memoriam

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by audreyld, Dec 24, 2006.

1. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Holy Mother of God, I was about to start a similar thread.

As most of you know, I'm not a big fan of the holidays. I'm just not. It's the way I am. I'm not a very sentimental person. I really have no use for it.

But this year, I'm finding myself being sentimental. My grandfather passed away early Dec. 2. He was 19 days away from his 82nd birthday. In the truest sense of the word, my grandfather was a hero. He fought in WWII, Korea and 'Nam. He was in Berlin when The Wall was being built. He is missed desperately by his wife of 59 years, whom he met in Italy during WWII, his three children, their children and their children's children.

On Thursday, my mother, who is still with my grandmother, called to say that my Godfather passed away last Sunday.

Two men that I could count on for a pat on the head or a kick in the ass are now gone. I miss them both very much. But, in their passing, they taught me one final lesson: To tell the people I love just how much they mean to me.

There are a great many of you here--you know who you are, I don't have to name names--that are like family to me. And I love you all very much.

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I'm very sorry for your losses, hb.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

4. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

I lost a good friend this year. He was in his 80s. He had a good life. I feel guilty for not spending much time thinking about him, but I get bummed every time I think about it. I guess it's been almost three months now. Thanks for reminding me to have him in my thoughts this holiday season. It brings back some great memories of past years. May you have happy thoughts of your loved ones as this year draws to a close, and may 2007 bring many blessings.

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

My condolences to everyone who has lost loved ones and/or friends this past year.

6. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Both grandmothers this year. My dad's mom in May. She was 96. My mom's mom passed about 10 days ago. She was 91.

7. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

There's a Sports and News thread up, but James Brown, the Godfather of Soul, passed away today. RIP

8. Bullrog

Bullrog Member

My best friend died in September.
    Yes, he was my dog, but he was also the best friend I could ever ask for.
    He was a part of my life for 14 years and I'll be forever grateful for what he meant to me.

It will always be strange for me to go back to my dad's house and for my dog to not be there. There's just an empty feeling in that house that will always remain with me.

9. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

My cat died in May during a particularly difficult time in my life. He was 21, and I'd inherited him from my grandpa. I had a super hard time dealing with it, and I still miss his little cross-eyed Siamese face.

10. Stretch15

Stretch15 Member

My grandmother is 89 years old and is suffering from stage 4 lung cancer. We nearly lost her a couple of weeks ago and I have been dreading the possibility of losing her during the holidays.

It has been brutal to watch her literally wither away before our eyes. For 88 3/4 years she was mobile, vibrant and incredibly sharp. Now, within a matter of weeks, she is a shell of her former self with no energy, no appetite, hallucinating and wanting to die.

My condolences to anybody who suffered a personal loss this year.

11. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

UT,

Thank you for this thread. To you and the others who have suffered losses or are watching loved ones slowly take leave from you, my heart goes out -- and from a place where my losses of 2006 still seem fresh.

Remember: Our loved ones want us to be happy, no matter where they are and how much we miss them or are consumed with thoughts of them.

Merry Christmas, everyone.

12. markvid

markvid Guest

This is my 1st with my babies, but my 5th without my dad.
    The latter hurts just as much as the joy of the first.

Draft saved Draft deleted