1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

In Maryland, 63 in a 65 is speeding

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Batman, Mar 13, 2013.

1. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I'll take driving in Maryland over driving in Virginia every fucking day of the week. I've lived in both states, and hell I drive in both states sometimes every day. The speed cameras in Maryland are unconstitutional bullshit, no doubt. But at least we don't have backups that last for perpetuity the way Virginia does. No matter how much you hate a road in Maryland, I'm throwing I-66 to and from Fairfax at you and you lose. All the fucking time.

Ohio is worse than either of those states, though.

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I'd rather live in Northern Virginia and use 95 every day (which I do) than live in Maryland, free of most of the traffic. Maryland blows ass.

3. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

The BW Parkway can be a bitch when they decide to shut the whole fucking thing down for no reason.

4. Bruce Leroy

Bruce Leroy Active Member

Exactly! This one kills me in Ohio, which I can verify is full of awful drivers. More often than not, I'm coming down the on-ramp, watching the idiot in the right lane continue on despite an open lane to the left. Part of the problem, though, is that I see an equal number of idiots who ride the merge lane until it absolutely ends instead of getting into the actual right lane of traffic as soon as they're able to. So you have an idiot sandwich with right-lane drivers not letting on-ramp traffic get into the lane and on-ramp traffic not taking the lane until the last second.

And, of course, you'll find plenty of people merging onto the highway driving 40 mph instead of getting up to speed while on the on-ramp. Oh, and yield signs. Ohioans apparently do not understand them whatsoever.

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Except for the speed limits. Those aren't *really* rules.

6. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

here's research from an insurance company: http://www.esurance.com/safety/driving-too-slowly

The issue really isn't too fast or too slow, it's not being aware of your road and surroundings. If I am doing the speed limit and you're under the speed limit, then my having to put on brakes or passing you to the right are dangerous actions. I get guilty of riding the middle lane because it is easier, but I make way for faster traffic.

In Germany, you can not pass on the right. It's a ticketable offense. And that's on autobahns that have no speed limits. I think that is the thing there. You can drive 200 mph if you want, so people have to pay attention.

7. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Rules are rules.

8. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Hardly live in a podunk town, but it's certainly not LA, DC or even Atlanta, traffic-wise. Helps that I work nights so I don't deal with rush-hour traffic much. Also, I don't know the scenario that caused her to get the ticket, but I still think a warning would suffice. So she was breaking the law and deserves a ticket for going 2 mph under the limit, but I'd guess 90 percent of those posting on this thread think it's perfectly fine to zoom up on her ass at 85, even though you'd be breaking the law in a more serious fashion.
    I said in my earlier post I would flip her off, but I would probably just give her a stern glance or a WTF shrug as I passed on the right. It takes something epically asinine to get me to flip someone off on the roads.

9. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

It's the most unenforced law out there. There are greater concerns, yes, but on the beltway this afternoon there were countless times people driving in a similar manner as her were making things less safe for everyone else. Somehow or another this lesson needs to be taught to more people. Hitting them in the wallet is one way to do it.

10. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I agree. But I would never expect to get a ticket for doing that. Start warning people, then give it a certain amount of time and crack down on it. Honestly, I didn't even know this was really a law until I clicked on this thread. I thought it was just a suggestion. I have seen the yellow signs for slower traffic to keep right, but to me they were along the same lines as Deer Crossing or Slippery When Wet.

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

In Florida, 63 will get you 65.

12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I'd rather drive in Virginia every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Most Maryland drivers are crazy. The Baltimore Beltway may be worse than the D.C. beltway.

Draft saved Draft deleted