1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

In Maryland, 63 in a 65 is speeding

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Batman, Mar 13, 2013.

1. Bruce Leroy

Bruce Leroy Active Member

She wasn't "also cited for failure to keep right." That was the only citation. And I wish more cops would respond the way this one did.

2. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

It's not "insane," and she was not charged for speeding; the ticket merely is the same price as speeding.

She was in the wrong lane for the speed she was going. It's highly likely that she was endangering other drivers with her speed. Ticket deserved.

Hope she loses her appeal, or whatever it is she's doing to "fight back."

Morons who do not keep up with traffic should stick to the right lanes, and if this brings light to those unsafe drives, it would be wonderful.

3. Ditto^

They need to give more tickets for the morons that just have to ding dong around in the left hand lane. The ticket for speed is a little petty, but she would deserve a ticket for driving in the wrong lane. It's a law that really needs to be enforced more.

4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

This, times 1,000,000. I'm surprised more crashes don't happen as a result of someone going 58 in the left lane when the limit is 65 mph.

5. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

No argument with the above, but the car driving 63 in the left lane in bad conditions isn't the problem. It's the trucks doing 55 in beautiful weather. Can we start on them first?

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Wonder if she then decided to go all 2nd Amendment on those stupid "Please Drive Gently" signs at the state line?

7. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Don't some states have regulations for truck speed? I think Kentucky's is 55 on rural/county roads and 60 or 65 on interstates.

8. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Yeesh. Tough crowd. I can get road rage with the best of them, but going 2 mph under the speed limit is hardly deserving of a citation. Odd that we all generally accept it is OK to go 75-80 in a 65-mph zone (I do it, as well). But this woman didn't deserve any more than a warning. I might flash my lights or flip her off as I passed on the right, but I don't think she was really endangering lives at 63 mph. The folks who decide to drive 90-100 and come out of nowhere when you look up into your mirror are far more dangerous. Happens to me far more often than almost rear-ending some old slow-poke. And don't even get me started on the motorcycles on the bridge at night.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

It's funny but the best lane (on a three lane highway) is often the right lane unless there are a lot of trucks.

It's usually half empty because the slow drivers are in the worst lane to drive in---the middle lane.

Most of the people in the middle lane should be in the right lane but a lot of them worry about merging drivers and the occasional "disappearing" right lane.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

The woman had no business being in the passing lane when she clearly wasn't passing anyone. And yes, she was endangering people because drivers get impatient and like you, pass her in the middle lane. This is what causes accidents.

And yes, she deserved a ticket, as much as the guy doing 90.

My son's g/f is from France and she's absolutely appalled at the lack of lane discipline over here.

Once again, it's simple. KEEP RIGHT EXCEPT TO PASS.

11. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

It is simple, but many people are just ignorant. But I would argue the drivers who get impatient are endangering more people than the ones driving 2 mph under the limit in the left lane. I agree she shouldn't be there, but she also should not get a ticket for being there. Now, if she were going 55 or under, that's another matter. I rarely drive the speed limit, but it is not a God-given right to drive 85 mph either.

12. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Some lady a few days ago flipped me off because I passed her in the right lane. She was talking on the phone and applying makeup; she was going just over 50 in a 55 and I was just one of three or four cars who went around her in the right lane.

Love when I'm the one getting flipped off by an idiot who doesn't know what keep right except to pass, or slow traffic keep right, means.

Draft saved Draft deleted