1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

In Maryland, 63 in a 65 is speeding

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Batman, Mar 13, 2013.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Maryland woman driving on I-95 was ticketed for driving too slow. She was driving 63 in a 65 mph zone. It's a $90 ticket, same as speeding.
    Seriously?
    She was also cited for failure to keep right, which was probably the main offense, but this is still insane. 63 is close enough to the speed limit that it shouldn't draw a ticket, no matter what lane it was in. Especially since, IIRC, this is the same state that had to be dragged kicking and screaming to raise its limit to 65 in the first place and threatened to ticket drivers for going even 2 or 3 mph over the limit.
    I'd be willing to bet some cop on a donut run, trying to do 80 and intimidating everyone to get out of his way, got stuck behind her in traffic and got pissed off.

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/Driving-2-MPH-Under-Speed-Limit_-Md_-Woman-Gets-Ticket_Washington-DC.html

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If she was in the left lane, I have zero sympathy.

3. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I can understand a cop pulling her over for it and giving her a warning, but a ticket? Give me a break.

4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Going below the speed limit? Get the fuck out of the left lane.

5. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

There is NOTHING more infuriating than assholes who drive slow but don't keep right. I'm far from being the pedal to the metal guy I used to be, but shit gets dangerous when they hog the left lanes and force cars to swerve around them on the right. There should be MORE cracking down on it, and more signs up saying as much.

That's the one thing Virginia gets right, at least on the rural interstates. Around the DC area, they're on the worst of it though.

6. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Amen.

7. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Speeding may not be the right infraction, but there has to be something that addresses the concern. Even operating the vehicle in an unsafe manner works.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

This is known as "Nestoring." Extremely frowned-upon on the Beltway. Probably on I-95 too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Nestor

9. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

This thread reminds me of the time I saw something like this when driving outside Louisville on I-65:

10. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

I usually wish CancerAIDS on people like this. A ticket is too good for her.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Frowned upon anywhere. It's assholes like this who cause accidents.

The rule is simple: "Keep right except to pass".

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

She might have been going below the speed limit because she saw the cop coming up behind her. It's a natural reaction to watch your speed and keep it at or below the limit when you see them. Maybe things are different on the beltway, but would she have gotten pulled over if she had been going 73?
    I hate slow drivers too, but she was going right at the limit with a cop on her tail. She wasn't driving 10 miles under.

I do wonder how long she was driving in the left lane. If it was 10 miles and there was a line of cars, then yeah, pull her over. If there were some variables (she said it was windy; maybe there was traffic in the right lane; the aforementioned reaction to seeing the cop; etc.)

Draft saved Draft deleted