1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"In lieu of flowers, send 'donations' to the 'Nationals Bullpen Fund.'"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by wicked, Jun 26, 2017.

1. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I'd like to meet that family.

3. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

This thing is played out. Hopefully the guy was in on the joke. Still, making a joke out of an obit seems wrong to me. To each his own, though, I guess.

SFIND likes this.
  4. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

I can't imagine wanting the lasting record of my life to be a proclamation of fanhood of a business that couldn't give a shit whether I existed or not, even if it's "a joke" like this. There were really no superior interests in his life than the Nats bullpen?

The sports fandom obsession of some in this country is downright scary. A few years ago I stumbled across a tombstone shaped like an Ohio State block-O. Still can't wrap my head around that -- your eternal message is "Go Bucks!"?

5. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Agreed. Nothing funny about a death.

6. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

So you met my grandpa?

Seriously, though, his whole funeral, his obit, most of his bequeathed possessions were Ohio State related. Might have even bought an In Memoriam ad in the Buckeye Sports Bulletin. Wouldn't surprise me.

My favorite first hand experience was attending a 1993 Citrus Bowl practice with him. The exchange as John Cooper signed my notepad:

Grandpa: "I'm the guy who writes you all those nasty letters."

Cooper: "My secretary reads those."

SFIND, dixiehack and Hermes like this.
  7. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

As a Detroit Tigers fan, I say, "Fuck this guy." The Tigers bullpen has been an unreliable mess since before the Nationals were even a thing.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Gio Gonzalez threw 113 pitches in six innings.

Never change, Dusty. Never change.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

No need to be sorry to me, that bullpen is horseshit. They've assembled an extremely good team with maybe the worst bullpen in history. Not one guy in there I trust. I think Gio has had five games where he left with a lead and didn't get the W? Joe Blanton gives up home runs every time out and they keep sending him out there.
    The bullpen is liable to kill me.

10. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

I'm keeping my own standings, where I pretend all baseball games end after the sixth inning.

It's made the Nationals' season much more palatable.

11. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

All this shit is meaningless until we decide to care about it.

Draft saved Draft deleted