1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

In-law season!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by WaylonJennings, Nov 10, 2007.

1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I would voluntarily hang out with the girl's parents, even if I'd never met them, and I'm looking forward to seeing them over Thanksgiving.

And yes, I know how lucky I am.

2. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

I love my in-laws most of the time. I'd say a good 98 percent of the time in fact. I'm pretty sure they only love me about 45 percent of the time, though.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

A few years back, Mrs. OOP and I moved fairly close to her family. I really only knew my in-laws through visits back and forth and I had always gotten along extremely well with both of them. Yes, even my father-in-law. He wasn't a huge fan of me being a sports writer, but he and the rest of my wife's family accepted me from day one. He was a good guy, deeply devoted to his family and very easy to get along with.

I know my father-in-law had talked quite a bit about being excited that we were moving closer so we could spend more time together. His other two daughters and their husbands had lived close by for years, so he was already very close his other two sons-in-law and I guess he felt he had some catching up to do with me.

Right before we moved, he had a cancer scare, but the surgery supposedly was a 100-percent success. That's the thing about doctors. Sometimes they're wrong, too. Right after we moved, he started having these pains in his back. It took a little while to find out what it was, but the cancer was back worse than ever and by the time they found it this time his case was terminal.

He was gone within six months.

My wife obviously misses her father very much and my little girl remembers just enough to be sad that the only grandfather she ever knew is gone (my father passed shortly after Mrs. OOP and I got married).

So I'm reading this thread and thinking that the only bad luck I ever had in the in-law department is losing one of them too soon.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

sooo... xperience?

5. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

With my in-law situation there are no fathers to worry about. We met 3 years ago, but my father died 6 years ago and hers died 13 years ago. The running joke my wife & I have, based on conversations with our own moms is that her mother allegedly spends more time praising me to her friends than she spends talking about how good her daughters are and my mom allegedly spends more time talking about how great my wife is than how good my brother & I are.

For Thanksgiving my wife & I are driving her mom an hour and a half to my mom's for dinner.

6. I didn't really get along too great with my former in-laws. Telling Gran Gran to go fuck herself certainly didn't help.

7. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

Nyah, nyah.

We're going to blow off the in-laws this year and do a quiet day at home. First time in our 13 Christmases together.

Nyah nyah.

8. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

It's weird, my wife is NOTHING like her mom, dad, brother. Nothing like them to the point even SHE gets annoyed with extended stays.

However, she loves mine.

With my work, he low seniority at her job, our trips and stays are short and sweet.

9. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I don't have any in-laws (thank God), but I've been in extended enough 21st century-style families to have relatives I hadn't met before. So far, I've been the lucky one on my side of the family in terms of how I've gotten along with the various other sides of the family.

Most of the annoying relatives are on my side of the family, though...

10. It is?
    So bag your limit and get drunk back at the cabin.

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Well struck.

[​IMG]

12. Put 'er on the bumper!

Draft saved Draft deleted