1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

In how many apartments/houses have you lived since college?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pringle, May 13, 2011.

1. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I'm on my 10th place, second house, and I'll eventually downsize to an apartment so I can pay off my daughter's college education and spend less of my time off working around a house.

2. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

It's the working around the house part that I like and get irritated when the job keeps me from it. Just this week I put up a new 18-foot flag pole in the yard, planted all my stuff in the garden, wife and I completely dug out and re-did all the flower beds and she painted the foundation on the house, which hadn't been done in six years. Yesterday, I spent about 2:30 mowing mine and my folks' yard while wife did the trimming.

Besides, I'd get arrested living in an apartment. Sometimes on those warm summer nights you've just got to walk to the end, check out the stars and "water" the bushes!

3. shockey

shockey Active Member

i'm soon to be 54. worked for only 2 papers. lived in 4 homes since college, all within 20 miles of each other and where i grew up. my first apt. (12 years), our 2nd apt. (4 years), our 1st house (12 years), this house (5-plus years

as i've said hundreds of times, considering the resume's os most in the biz, i've been extraordinarily blessed.

4. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Since college:

1. Slept on a mattress on the floor for a summer
    2. First place out of college with three buddies
    3. Apartment with one of the same guys
    4. House with two other guys
    5. Moved in with then-fiancee, now wife
    6. Moved to new town, lived in rental townhouse
    7. Same town, different house
    8. Bought a house with wife in first town after leaving industry

4 and 8 are the only ones that lasted more than a year.

Entire life? Those 8, plus dorm and 3 houses in college, plus two growing up. So 14.

5. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

3 since college (20 years) in 2 cities, plus 1 growing up, 2 dorms and 1 apartment in college. That makes a total of 7.

6. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

17 since 1980 in four states (Florida, California, North Carolina, Georgia)

parent's house, 10 apartments, 2 rental houses, 1 rental duplex, 3 houses owned

There are still a couple of unopened boxes in the basement that have yellowed address labels from nine moves ago.

7. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

At some point, I just started leaving furniture behind and wandering from state to state with no more than what I could fit in my car.

Since someone brought up entire life, I'm at 27. Current stop is likely to last longer than usual, though, for a variety of good reasons.

8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

First city: Three places in 2.5 years.
    Second city: Four places in 5.5 years.
    Third (and current) city: Two places in five years before buying the house I've lived in now for 21 years.

So that's nine places in my first 14 years after school and one in the subsequent 21.

9. joe

joe Active Member

Since college: 11 in Missouri, Kentucky, Illinois, Washington, California, Missouri, Florida and Missouri.
    In college: 4
    Lifetime: 26

10. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Impressive.

11. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

Since college:
    1) Shared an apartment with a friend in Dodge City, which was a house split into two aprtments. Brilliant owner thought two apartments could run off one heating system. Nope. Our controller was overridden by the guy on the other side. One fine December night, we had the front door open with a fan blowing cold air in because he had the thermostat turned up to 85. He also collected Nazi stuff.

2) Rented a room in my aunt's house.

3) Moved in with a GF (her house).

4) Lost my job, lost the GF, moved into parents' basement.

5) Temporarily with a friend when I got a job in another town.

6) Apartment. First time I ever lived in my own. Was there 4 1/2 years before the landlord's alcoholic son was moved into the unit below me.

7) Apartment at the opposite end of the same building. Got pissed off when the manager stuck a note in the door saying that the downstairs neighbor had a problem with me "walking too loud" when I came home at midnight. The note had "Just trying to keep everyone happy" at the end. I was only in there three weeks before....

8) Aunt I rented from previously heard about the crap I was getting at the apartment and was wanting to move closer to her kids anyway. She offered me the house. I accepted since the house payments were going to be lower than rent payments I'd been making. Went to the manager's office, told her she sucked at "keeping everyone happy" because I hadn't been happy for the last 6 months and gave my month's notice as required although the last 2 weeks, I was just holding onto the key out of spite.

12. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Since college:
    1. Apartment in "Little Mexico" in Lexington KY (1 year)
    2. Apartment in Danville KY in a crack house (1 year)
    3. Apartment in Danville KY (1 year)
    4. Duplex in Danville KY (16 months)
    5. Apartment in Richmond VA (3 years)
    6. House in Richmond VA (20 months)
    7. Apartment in Farmington CT (1 year)
    8. Apartment in New Britain CT (8 months)
    9. Apartment in Atlanta GA (1 year and counting)

So, nine in 13 years. I didn't think I stayed in the first apartment in Richmond that long, but I was there almost five years, so I guess.

Lifetime, it was 5 houses before I graduated HS, then the dorm, then an apartment with my friend. So 16 total in six states in 35 years.

Draft saved Draft deleted