1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

In how many apartments/houses have you lived since college?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pringle, May 13, 2011.

1. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

Companion thread to the one on cities you've worked in.

My answer is: 10

* Paid a friend rent to live in his house at my first job.
    * Back with the parents for a couple months while apartment searching after that.
    * Rented with two roommates in a townhouse for a couple years.
    * Rented a house with three roommates for about a year.
    * Year lease in a studio flying solo.
    * Year lease with my then-fiancee in an apartment.
    * Bought a house with my wife when I got a new job, lived in it for five years, sold it when I changed jobs.
    * Apartment for six months when we couldn't find a house we liked in a pinch. Realized why I left apartment life behind.
    * Rented a house for a year. Didn't much like it. Too dumpy.
    * Upgraded to a new rental home, signed a two-year lease while we save for a down payment for our final destination.

2. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

(again, excluding time in the Navy)

Those of you who are city types and don't have a large extended family are gonna love this. I am a few months away from 40 and have lived in five different houses in my whole life. Four of the five have been within about 200 yards of one another.

1. When I was born we lived in a trailer next door to my grandparents.
    2. At about age 2-3 we built my mom and dad's house that I grew up in, right next to the site of the trailer.
    3. After the Navy and while in college, my cousin and I rented a house a whopping 2 miles away from where I grew up.
    4. When my great aunt died, I moved into her house which is to the left of my mom and dad's.
    5. When my grandmother died in 2000, I moved into her house to the right of my parents so my cousin could move into my great aunt's house.

We live on a farm that has been in my family for more than a hundred years. Across the road from me, my folks and the one cousin, live an aunt and uncle. Behind them is another cousin. I have another great uncle and a couple of cousins living about a tenth of a mile down the road on another portion of what was my great grandparents farm. My mom is 66 and has lived on the same piece of property her entire life.

* a few more years in the newspaper business, and I expect to be living in a van down by the river.

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I can relate to that, Joe. On my mom's side of the family, everyone lives within 5 miles of each other. Most of them live on the same road. The road is named after my grandfather and is referred to, simply, as "The Lane." It's really just a half-mile loop off the main road, and every house on the loop is owned by my grandfather.

For me...I've lived in 4 apartments/houses since my first stint in college.

4. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I've got 10, too; didn't realize it was that many. Now I know why I feel sick every time I pass a moving van on the highway.

5. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Yeah, although he's live at the enclave since 1967, my dad is still an outsider. He was born and raised about 10 miles away on the other side of town. ;D

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  6. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

My parents moved from the block where my father (and I) grew up to a house in the 'burbs right before I left for college. I lived in that house when I came home on break and for a couple of years after graduation, then moved to my current apartment.

Even if I count my grandparents' vacation house and dorms, I have lived in six places over my nearly 37 years. Post-college, just two... about 45 minutes apart.

7. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I'm in my mid-40s and I've lived in eight different buildings. Seemed unusual until I read a DOL statistic that today's grade-school student will have had between 10 and 14 jobs by the age of 38. With all those job changes, there's gonna be some residence changes too.

8. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I just moved into my 17th different residence since 2000, including five houses. That number doesn't include multiple extended stays at a handful of hotels during that time.

9. Hmm, looking back, its 5 for me, and that's 13 years out of college. three apartments, and two houses. And in that time, I have only worked at two papers, in two cities. I know it doesn't work out this way, but I tend to break things down by average, and it just feels an average of about 2 and a half years per place seems short. Of course, I was only at my first shop for a year, and that gobbles up two of my three apartments. So the first year or so was a lot of moving.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Rented out someone's basement - 1 year
    Shared an apartment - 4 years
    Had own apartment - 3 years
    Rented a house - Less than a year
    Bought a house with wife - 7+ years

11. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Since college -- 5. 3 apartments, 2 houses.

Entire life -- 11.

12. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

1. Bachelor apartment.
    2. Moved literally next door since it had two bedrooms after I got married (stepdaughter needed a room too).
    3. Snagged 3 bedroom apartment with birth of youngest princess.
    4. Temporary room in a house when I moved across the state to begin a new job while the family finished up the school year.
    5. Rented good size 2 bedroom apartment while we began scoping the house scene.
    6. Purchased house.

Draft saved Draft deleted