1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

In-house writer Gig may develope into new media gig.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by daytonadan1983, Aug 22, 2010.

1. daytonadan1983

daytonadan1983 Well-Known Member

I make one phone call and one visit to my old stomping grounds and boom -- I am the in-house web writer at Bethune-Cookman for a while.

Here's what I want to do on gamedays -- let me know if it's overkill. (My time in Texas was heavily influence by the DMN's gameday coverage of the Cowboys.)

Back in my minor league football days, we used our e-newsletter as a newspaper of sorts and sent out a comprehensive post-game coverage that included a 400-word gamer, one or two 250-word sidebars, a notebook and links to stats, photo gallery and video.

If links are set up properly, we can have it out to people who are still in the parking lot at the post-game tailgate (90 minutes top).

Also, we use Twitter to update after each possesion with stats and fun stuff for all those at the game with cell phones. I decided not to do a live blog at home games because 90 percent of our audience will be in the stands.

Of course, everything goes up on the web site, but this is for those people who like something in their e-mail box or would like to read about the game as they're going home.

We have a base of 1,500 season ticket holders ... throw in alumni and parent databases and that's a nice audience for FCS.
    If anyone else also has pointers about being the in-house writer, I'd love to hear it.
    Th

Draft saved Draft deleted