1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

In-house criticism

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Hustle, Sep 29, 2008.

1. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Find out which areas of your distribution the circulation guy is responsible for.

Pick out a couple of dozen of the more influential folks that live in area 9perferably friends of the publisher, city officials, etc.). Find a neutral telephone and call the circulation desk to say "you're" going on vacation for a week or so.

That might keep him busy.

2. We had a situation here where a advertising employee was on a fanboi web site posting about what one of our sports reporters was wearing in the office, and being generally critical of his work all while identifying himself as an employee of the BFE.

That was stopped.

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Somebody in circulation can read?

4. Hustle, here's what I would honestly do. I'd send an email to him at his anonymous address and let him know you know who he is. Tell him simply that you don't appreciate it and if he has a problem with you in the future, he can walk down the hall or up the stairs and tell it to you in person.

That will shut the coward up.

5. TheMethod

TheMethod Member

I agree. Most people back down when confronted directly. Do it calmly, but firmly, and make sure to include some remark about his (cowardly) attempt to remain anonymous.

6. I'd be careful not to name-call or lose composure in the email. That shit bites you in the ass.

Verbally is OK. :D

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

So what did you end up doing, Huss?

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. Hustle

Hustle Guest

Dixie's right, I went all Jeter on him and dressed up in a designer sportcoat, adjusted my hair just so and had three women on my arm while saying in a calm, matter-of-fact voice that he could shove it. :)

In all seriousness, I've not responded. I've tried to think of ways I could respond (ranging from the how-do-you-like-it-when-people-insult-you appeal to reminding him that one playoff win since the turn of the century cannot and should not be a source of pride for the NFL's most valuable franchise); I couldn't feel assured that any would bring an amicable resolution.

I've thought of discussing it with various bosses but frankly, I don't care that much. OK, that's not exactly true, but I want to believe I have thicker skin than to care what some guy - whose only interest is that I dickride is team, as a friend said - says about me. I want to believe that and maybe I want to prove it to myself again. But like I said before, I'd accept this sort of thing from the general public who has no clue what we do; I have been disappointed in myself that I've let it bother me as it has. For all intents, he might as well be the general public, based on his demonstrated knowledge of what our jobs actually entail.

In short, I've considered everything that was offered here (well, except the upper decking). At this point, I just feel like it's best to take the high road. If this persists, however, a change in course will certainly be considered.

For those that recommended talking to him face to face, he works in a different building, one that I rarely visit during business hours or whenever he's there. So that's out.

And John: It's not that IT guy anymore, though you would be spot on.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

so then Comet bomb is still a possibility...

11. silentbob

silentbob Member

That's funny -- and scary.

I wouldn't make this an issue. The guy's acting unprofessionally, but he doesn't know better. You do. Nothing wrong with dishing it right back at him. "Just wait until next week's column!" But I wouldn't start getting management involved. You got to choose your battles there, and this guy's not worth it.

12. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

It's an unsigned e-mail. Treat it the same way you do other unsigned e-mails.

If it's coming from his office accout, report it to HR.

Don't make a big deal out of it.

Draft saved Draft deleted