1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

In honor of Signing Day, a proposed new NCAA rule:

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Feb 4, 2009.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

It's known as Rivals.comspeak

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

And everyone uses it whether it's right or not...

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

Not everyone, slap.

4. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

You can't just say "recruit." Dozens of schools are recruiting some of these kids.

I write "State U. commitment John Doe."

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

But he's not "committed" until he signs a letter of intent.

6. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Though you should be writing "John Doe, who says he's going to State U., but is going to continue to take recruiting visits and hint that he might go somewhere else, all in the hopes of prolonging his 15 minutes of fame and making reporters who'd rather be doing anything else treat him as if his statements are the most important thing they've ever heard."

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I knew you'd be the one to say that....
    Not to sound old and grumpy, but changes in usage like that come from younger writers who have come up with the ESPNization of journalism...

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

And grumpy old editors like me not only change it, we tell writers not to use it again.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I agree with you... I wish more did it. Many don't see anything wrong with it..

10. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

So say a kid gets a scholarship offer from Western Kentucky in mid-June. It's the school he always wanted to go to, and the school his uncle went to, and the school that he watched non-stop through the NCAA tournament in March. He accepts the offer. He has no desire to go to any other school. He has no other offers, even. He ends his recruitment and has decided that he will attend Western Kentucky.

How do you refer to that situation when writing about him?

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

"Joe Schmoe, who plans to attend Western Kentucky..."

Because when the WKy coach -- who was a friend of his uncle -- gets canned and the kid changes his mind about going there and reopens his recruitment and gets offers from 3 other schools ... well, there was no "commitment" to Western Kentucky.

12. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

So I can write exactly what I think now?

Are you a sports editor? Are you hiring?

Draft saved Draft deleted