1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

In honor of Poindexter, can sex with a minor be consensual?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Drip, Oct 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Sex with a minor can never be consensual.

2. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

This is the most disturbing game of semantics I've ever come across.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Indeed.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I draw the line at the legal age, Simon. I'm not out patrolling for 14-year-old boys (anymore). Are you asking me to rewrite the law? I'm not going to. That's not my job. I answered the question.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

The concept that two 17-year-olds can't make a fully informed decision that they want to have sex with each other willingly is absurd. And heck, the 4-year-old can consent, too. Not that it would be informed consent, in the same way that a senile person can consent to giving money to the fly-by-night driveway repair guy. And that's why the laws involving sex with minors don't involve consent; they don't say there can't be consent.

6. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

In fact? yes.

In law? No.

7. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I don't think laws can be written to say "on a case by case basis" to allow for every permutation possible. The letter of the law can say that someone who's 17 years and 364 days old can't have consenual sex with someone who's 18 years old exactly, but that's where the human beings who run the court system could take how close the partners are in age into consideration.

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Yes, but human beings have daughters, and we see how that goes ("If that happened to MY kid, I'd rip the guy's eyes out!!!")

Can't let irrational emotion decide whether an 18-year-old kid goes to jail until he's 30.

9. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

I do think the law needs to say that an underage person and someone of legal age can have sex as long as the difference in age is 12 months or less to get past the 17 years, 11 months and 10 days old girl getting her boyfriend thrown in jail scenario.

10. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

For fuck's sake, you answered nothing.

You say sex with minors can be consensual. YOU said that.

I asked... at what age CAN'T it be?

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I'm not arguing the law for one second here. I'm in the "words mean things, so let's be precise." camp.

If the thread were titled "Can sex with a minor be consensual and legal?" then in my opinion, there wouldn't be much for me to discuss.

12. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I can't answer that, because it's not for me to decide. I answered the question. It can be consensual. IF you're going to ask when it CAN'T be, then the answer would be if one's over 18 and one's under. That's the law. What's confusing?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.