1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

In honor of Poindexter, can sex with a minor be consensual?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Drip, Oct 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Good Christ, Simon. The question wasn't IS sex with a minor consensual. It's can it be. And yes, it can be. If you're 18 and your gf is 17 and 10 months...guess what?

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Christchurch.

Oops, not the Word Association thread.

3. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Where are YOU drawing the line?

What age?

Since the law isn't good enough for you apparently.

4. imjustagirl

Again, as dooley said, consensual doesn't mean legal. I'm not saying people SHOULD have sex with minors. What I'm answering is the question "Is it possible for someone under the legal age to agree to have sex with someone over the legal age."

Yes.

5. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

But you overlook the fact that most states don't draw a line in the sand on consensual age. If a guy who is 18 years, one day old has sex with a girl (or guy) who is 17 years, 355 days old, it's usually not considered statutory rape. If it's a 40-year-old guy, it can be. There's usually a sliding scale for these things, because if you said the "boundary" was 18 years old, then a 17-year-old could have "consensual" sex with a toddler.

I personally don't think 10-year-olds should be made to determine what's consensual with a 25-year-old Wooderson.

6. imjustagirl

I have no idea what that last sentence means.

7. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

It's a reference to "Dazed and Confused," trying to use the skeeziest underage macker I could think of.

8. imjustagirl

Oh, I never saw it. Would explain why it flew over my head. :D

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

here:

To answer the question: yes, it can, but it's still illegal. :eek:

10. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Curiosity again begs.... where do YOU draw the line? What age?

There has to be age where "consent" isn't informed enough to be consent.

11. Yes it can be. Still illegal and skeevy at a certain age difference though.

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, it needs to be lowered, then.

Unless you know of a way for an 18-year-old male to resist the aggressive advances of a 15- or-16-year-old so he doesn't end up spending 12 years in jail simply for saying, "OK."

Or unless you can make the law even the playing field so that older female who screws up (no pun intended) with a minor is treated as harshly as the older male.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.