1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

In hockey . . .

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pete Incaviglia, Dec 30, 2007.

1. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

. . . is it "alternate captain" or "assistant captain" for the player who wears the 'A' on their sweater?

2. a_rosenthal

a_rosenthal Guest

Alternate.

3. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Yep. Nothing more to say.

4. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Alternate, although players I cover all the time refer to them as assistants.

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I have played and coached for about 30 years and I have always used assistant captain. I know in the dressing rooms I have never heard it refered to as an alternate captain

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I've always used, heard (and once upon a time in a life long, long ago) and been an "alternate" captain. Never used assistant.

7. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

I have heard of both terms but have used "assistant" captain in my stories.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

From the NHL rulebook...

NHL Rulebook
    Rule 14 Captain of Team

1. One Captain shall be appointed by each Team, and he alone shall have the privilege of discussing with the Referee any questions relating to interpretation of rules which may arise during the progress of a game. He shall wear the letter "C", approximately three inches (3") in height and in contrasting color, in a conspicuous position on the front of his sweater.

In addition, if the permanent Captain is not on the ice, Alternate Captains (not more than two) shall be accorded the privileges of the Captain. Alternate Captains shall wear the letter "A" approximately three inches (3") in height and in contrasting color, in a conspicuous position on the front of their sweaters.

(NOTE) Only when the captain is not in uniform, the Coach shall have the right to designate three Alternate Captains. This must be done prior to the start of the game.

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I guess "Alternate" is the proper term.
    The term is still not used in the dressing rooms. At least not here in Canada

10. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Thanks Slappy. I've heard both used. It was a debate between a buddy and me.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I researched and dug to settle a BAR bet?

12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Does this mean you get a cut?

Draft saved Draft deleted