1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

in-game interviews

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by golfnut8924, Nov 29, 2009.

1. golfnut8924

golfnut8924 Guest

Gotcha. That's BS. A TV timeout is a timeout the coach needs to spend talking to his team, not the TV people. Good for Phil to complain and shit on whoever told him that he was obligated.

2. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

I've always found those in-game interviews to be over the line...including the halftime talk sessions. It's really not that different from a timeout...the coach has a limited amount of time to address his team at the half and to confer with his assistants...It's mid-game and he shouldn't be obligated to talk with the media at that point.

Especially silly when you consider how little these breathless, one-word interviews contribute to a telecast.

Finding an athletic trainer or athletic rep during the game to confirm injury information or some other tidbit is another story, but leave the coaches and players alone until the final whistle.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

Very simple: TV gets what it pays for.

And most in-game interviews are useless anyway.

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

It was that long ago? OMG!

5. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Don't want to distract the coaches from spitting tobacco juice, kicking at the ground over and over, or scratching their balls.

7. Charlie has done a great job managing the Phillies the last two years. But thankfully, somebody in that organization -- maybe Charlie himself -- or with the networks realized they needed a better talker on those spots. If you don't have the Charlie-to-English book handy he's a tough listen.

8. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

If I were a coach/manager, I would only do them under direct orders from my superiors. The coach/manager has a job to do. Let them do it.

9. ripple

ripple Member

This is not quite the same, but I thought it was really funny in last week's race at Homestead when they did an in-car interview with Carl Edwards.

The more direct analogy to the OP would be interviewing the crew chief while the race is going on, I suppose, and that happens pretty often.

10. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

This, to me, is the ultimate in TV insanity, interviewing a guy while he's whizzing along at 200 mph.

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I hate in-game interviews.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

How about 55 mph? They do those interviews during caution laps.

Draft saved Draft deleted