1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

In Fenian's absence ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chi City 81, Sep 8, 2006.

1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

That's not how it ran through my partisan filter, I guess.

2. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

I vote Democrat. Always. Maybe that will help take the edge off of you here. Obviously, you didn't like the Clinton bomb I dropped. I'm sorry. I just don't see everything in government as one side does everything right, one does everything wrong. That gets us nowhere. To me, that's as ridiculous as college football fans who think they have the only pristine program in the country (117 of such fan bases, by the way).

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I was no fan of much, dare I say most, of Clinton's work. But I did think he was genuinely trying to better the nation, to the detriment of everything save his own political future.

Which is likely as much as we can expect of any politician today.

"People here and in America at large worry far too much about politics, far too little about government. Something like this runs on the wire, and the way a lot of you digest it is by immediately running it through your partisan filter so you can then plan out your reaction accordingly."

I still think that's shit. I worry about government. But politics enters into everything. To try and downplay its importance is disingenuous at the very least. To try and act like anyone can stand to the side of politics simply flies in the face of reason.

4. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

But don't even many politicians think that partisanship gets in the way of progress? I don't think I'm breaking any ground here. It just seemed like we all saw a one paragraph AP news alert and everyone on here began to get their spin ready.

For the record, some of Bush's foreign policy theories are not inaccurate - he believes that democracies are less likely to go to war with each other, and democratization of unstable countries will eventually bring peace.

I just wish that he -- well, his political advisers, including Rummy and the like -- gave the American people enough credit to present it that way, cutting out the 9/11 and "freedom" rhetoric. I wasn't alive during Vietnam, though. I'm sure anything that sounds like the "domino theory" is going to be met with resistance, so they kind of tried to backdoor us.

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Politicians who are trying to get elected in moderate districts often say they think partisanship gets in the way of progress.

It's a political ploy to say so.

6. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I agree. I think that was always his impulse. Some of the people around him? Not so much.

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

See, Henry.

We can agree sometimes.

8. dog428

dog428 Active Member

I'd like a little clarification on "the mess we're in now."

I'd be willing to agree if it's one thing. Not so willing if it's another.

9. dog428

dog428 Active Member

Sorry, forgot what the original topic was here.

I know it's late, but noooooooooooooooooooo? You don't say?

You know what we should start? A running thread on Fredo and Co.'s lies. We can attempt to name off all that have come so far -- a chore, I know -- and then just add to it whenever another one pops up. (So, daily. I should've said we'll add to it daily.)

10. pallister

pallister Guest

Yeah, that sounds like fun! You must be the life of the party, Dog.

11. And, not to be too precise about it, but the DSM -- Memos, actually -- are the personal accounts of meetings that the author sat in on, and he happened to be one of the two or three top guys in British intelligence. The Hayes piece is based on a memo leaked to an interested party by an interested party, i.e. Feith, whom Tommy Franks called "the stupidest fucking man on the planet." So, I'm sorry if Igrant one a squosh more credibility than the other.

12. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

I meant war-time. We were in a mess in World War II, as well.

Not making a value judgment on Iraq, if that's what you were worried about.

Draft saved Draft deleted