1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

In Fab Five 30 for 30, Jalen Rose said Coach K only recruits "Uncle Toms"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by NickMordo, Mar 8, 2011.

1. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Yeah and Ray Jackson played overseas I think. But the other three are rich and famous. I bet if you asked a lot of college basketball fans to name all five they couldn't do it.

2. Seahawk

Seahawk Member

These would be great points... if they were true. In 1993, Michigan lost to UNC in the title game. So Duke did not actually win two national titles while the Fab 5 was together.

Furthermore, Georgia Tech won the ACC tournament in 1993, beating UNC. In fact, they beat Duke in the first round of the ACC tourney.

But don't let facts get in the way of a good story.

3. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Ben,

If you hate self-absorbed louts, I don't know how you can cover sports. And you are free to disagree with me anytime.

Jimmy King was an original Raptor. Not good enough a shooter to play the two-guard, he wasn't good enough a ball handler to play point. But he was very good to deal with. Very polite.

vonnegut, I was a big Indiana guy back then. 1992 Final Four still bugs me. Indiana up one at the half, then went 13 consecutive possessions (I think) without scoring in the second. A late run was ruined when Jamaal Meeks missed a three.

And Starman, of all the things you wrote, the only one I refuse to believe is Webber's timeout was to save the pointspread. That just defies belief to me. Refuse to accept he did that on purpose.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Well, whether it was intentional or not, the time out and the resulting technical free throws, flipped the game in regards to both the spread and the over/under.

The fact that Webber had received more than $300,000 from a professional gambler makes it smell mighty strange.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Whether they won anything on the court or not, the fact remains that we will never see another all-freshman Final Four team. You don't have to win a title to be a story.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Sure we will. UK almost did it last year before their olympic-class choke job.

In fact, it's probably more and more likely coaches are gonna try to put together great one-class teams by zeroing in on one or two superstar recruits and hoping they can generate a snowball effect and bring in two or three other top-20 studs.

The effect of the shoe companies should not be discounted, either. They're handing out goodies all the way down the AAU food chain. They can definitely steer kids to the schools they want.

7. Mark McGwire

Mark McGwire Member

Thank you.

8. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Yeah, I'm not sure why on-court performance has to be THE ONLY indicator of historical relevance to a lot of people here. The Fab Five made a couple of great runs in the NCAA Tournament, and they did it as freshmen and sophomores. That's a notable accomplishment, and unprecedented to have five freshmen starting in the championship game.

The evolution of college hoops have made guys like Carmelo, Kevin Durant, Michael Beasley and others immediate stars as one-and-done freshmen. But in 1992, five freshmen doing THAT WELL was unheard of.

When you throw it in their revolutionary style, from their cocky confidence to black shoes-black socks to baggy shorts---styles that are still popular today, 19 years later---and you've got an extremely interesting group of kids who have a deserved place in college basketball lore.

Nitpicking their legacy because they didn't win it all is dumb.

To sum it up another way: I was 11 years old in 1992. I will never forget those teams and I can't wait to watch this film.

9. Armchair_QB

There's a needle sticking out of your thigh.

10. Mark McGwire

Mark McGwire Member

Shhh... I'm molesting a collie.

11. Armchair_QB

We'll never see another recruiting class like this for the simple reason that you'll never find five high-level recruits willing to sign with the same school and have to share points and playing time.

12. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

By the way, could you argue that the 1990-93 NCAA Tournaments were one of the best 4-year stretches ever?

1990 -- LMU dealing with Hank Gathers' death. UNLV crushes Duke with the NCAA breathing down their neck.

1991 -- UNLV is undefeated until the Final Four. A star-studded Duke team wins it all by beating UNLV and then Kansas.

1992 -- Fab Five make a splash, but Duke wins its second (after making the Final Four by winning the greatest college basketball game ever)

1993 -- The infamous Chris Webber timeout.

Draft saved Draft deleted