1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

In Fab Five 30 for 30, Jalen Rose said Coach K only recruits "Uncle Toms"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by NickMordo, Mar 8, 2011.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Somewhere in Columbia, Rich Daly just kicked a dog and doesn't know why.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I had no idea that the point spread and over/under were that curiously involved in the outcomes of the championship games. I do remember wondering how in the hell Michigan could fall apart so completely after playing to a dead-even standstill in the first half in '92.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I guess I should have used blue font. I just thought it was pretty funny that Boom was calling Obama's body person a thug.

And, I'm sure Boom knows what happened to him too.

4. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Somewhere in Columbia, Mizzou fans are still awaiting for Rich Daly to call timeout against Syracuse.

5. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Yeah, and during those same years Duke WON two consecutive national championships, two ACC titles, and ACC tourney titles, yet no ESPN documentaries get made about that group. More recently, the same 5 Florida starters WON two consecutive national championships, two consecutive SEC titles, two consecutive SEC tourney titles, yet no documentaries get made about them. And there have been plenty of others who've had considerably better two year runs in recent decades (UNLV 90/91, Arkansas 94/95, Kentucky 96/97/98, Georgetown 84/85, North Carolina 08/09, Houston 83/84, etc.) yet did not get the historical treatment and over-glamourization the Fab 5 still gets 18 years later.

The fact is there are no titles of ANY type that can be placed next to their names, not even a single Big 10 conference title. And the only major on-court accomplishment they're known for--the two final four runs--were later offically erased by the NCAA for cheating. Yet you still hear about this group of never-won-anything players more than any other one class in NCAA historyl. Overhyped? Hell, yes.

6. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Rose's comment doesn't really surprise me. I remember reading a story on Grant Hill a few years ago, I think it was in GQ, and he said in high school he had other black kids that resented him for playing basketball. They said he didn't need to play because his parents were rich he was just taking a spot on the team from a poor kid.

7. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

4 out of the 5 were around for a third year, yet that team could not win the Big 10 either. Two stayed all four years, none ever won anything.

As I recall, Bob Knight pretty much owned them with less talented IU teams the two years all five were together, and less talented Purdue teams featuring only one future NBA player owned them the next two years.

Their on-court accomplishments boil down to two final four runs that were later vacated. Never won anything else of significance at all.

8. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I think an interesting angle to the story would be Ray Jackson and Jimmy King. They really weren't stars, but got included in all the hype. The other three all had good NBA careers, but I wonder what life after college was like for those two.

9. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

When does this thing air?

10. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Jimmy King was in the league for a little while, right? I feel like I remember him being in NBA Live 96.

11. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Also, just for the hell of it: Dugan Fife.

12. Just for historical accuracy, those Indiana teams at the time were Knight's last great groups. They were super talented and more experienced than the Fab Five group. They had Cal Cheaney (Big Ten's all-time leading scorer), two great guards (Greg Graham and Chris Reynolds), some versatile big men (Matt Nover, Alan Henderson, Eric Anderson in '92), Damon Bailey (who was a really nice college player, though he had no way of living up to the hype), and a couple of deadeye shooters (Pat Graham, Todd Leary).

I'm not an IU fan by any stretch, but those Knight teams were probably my favorite college hoops teams to watch ever.

In '92, they lost in the national semis to Duke. IU had "whipped" (some might remember the context of that) UCLA by 30+ points in the Elite Eight. In '93, IU spent a good portion of the year ranked No. 1 and swept Michigan, but Alan Henderson's knee injury cost the Hoosiers a shot at the national title.

I get that Michigan didn't win Big Ten titles during those years, but those were Indiana teams were loaded...probably more talented than the '87 title team. Purdue wasn't too bad either with Glenn Robinson putting up 25+ per game at around that time.

Draft saved Draft deleted