1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

In Fab Five 30 for 30, Jalen Rose said Coach K only recruits "Uncle Toms"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by NickMordo, Mar 8, 2011.

1. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

I really don't see how anyone can argue with back-to-back appearances in the national title game, losing to two veteran teams.

The stuff they were criticized for then is normal now, from dress to personality. For me, a kid in junior high during their short-lived run, they were more memorable than any championship team.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

K played for Bob Knight, and I remember Knight saying something that might sum a lot of this up.

"Smart wins. Smart teams win basketball games."

If an Uncle Tom listens to a coach and does not call time outs when they do not have any, then I am guessing that is what K was looking for in recruits.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Get it right... SUNY-Ann Arbor

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

That was the era when I covered Michigan... Not as completely as The Dwarf did. mind you.
    But it was a different time., that's for sure.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Coach K would have taken Jalen Rose in a heartbeat if Ed Martin hadn't bought him. Don't kid yourself. Duke basketball's academic standards is one of the biggest bullshit myth storylines in all the world of sports.

6. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

7. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Were they cocky and arrogant, yeah, but how many other teams starting five freshmen have ever made the final four?

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

1. Ed Martin was giving Chris Webber money from the time he was in 6th-7th grade.

2. Ed Martin was giving U-M players money over a 17-year stretch, from 1982-1999, dating from Antoine Joubert and Roy Tarpley to Louis Bullock.

3. Ed Martin gave Webber over $300,000 (established in court).

4. Ed Martin gave Jalen Rose "pocket money" by Rose's own admission. "Pocket money" does not mean 10 bucks once a month.

5. BOTH NCAA title games involving the "fab five" flipped in relation to both the point spread and the over/under in the final 2:00 of the game (including the blowout loss to Duke the year before) including the truly bizarro world ending of the UNC game. (Several other games the next couple of years, including one truly amazing upset loss at Northwestern, which was barely sponsoring varsity basketball at the time, also send up screaming red sirens.)

6. How did Ed Martin make all this money he was handing out to players (over $600,000 admitted in court)? Uhh, well, he was a PROFESSIONAL GAMBLER.

7. Did he hand out all this money just because he was a nice guy? No. He wanted something back.

end of story

studthug12 likes this.
  9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

So is Ed Martin paid the kids to go to Michigan.
    Webber was on the hook to Martin in high school.
    You beat me, Star....
    but you also forget that Ed Martin was Perry Watson's buddy; not Fish and not Frieds...

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Well as you know Ed Martin was buddy buddy with Frieder from back when Frieder was Johnny Orr's top assisstant and recruiting wizard.

Martin spent most of the early-mid 1980s recruiting/paying players to attend Det SW High School and play for PW.

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

So WTF was Rose saying this morning?

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

A bunch of stupid shit, which is not unusual at all for Jalen Rose.

Draft saved Draft deleted