1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

In Fab Five 30 for 30, Jalen Rose said Coach K only recruits "Uncle Toms"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by NickMordo, Mar 8, 2011.

1. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

Um, yeah. Obviously it's less appreciated because everyone knows the program was cheating and the players were getting paid.

2. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Agree, Stoney. I saw the promo for the ESPN program last night (surprisingly, while watching basketball on ESPN!) and my comment was, "How many titles -- of any kind -- did that team win?" Zero.

And the old guy in me blames them for all these damn kids wearing baggy pants to just above their ankles and calling them "shorts" :)

3. Seahawk

Seahawk Member

No. In two years as a unit, they made back-to-back national title games. Four of the five went on to the NBA.

Webber was a first-team All-American and a five-time NBA all-star. Rose scored 1700 points and had 400-plus assists in college and went on to a good NBA career that included three trips to the Eastern Conference finals, and one NBA final.

Howard was an All-American for Michigan and is still playing (well, still active anyway) with the Heat. He's closing in on 1,200 NBA teams.

That's all pretty impressive from one recruiting class.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I bet Howard was the Heat player crying because he did not get to play.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

See: My post on another thread about how we reframe our memories of the build-up to fit the result.

The game against Carolina came down to the wire.

6. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

Dugan Fife thinks they were all overrated and he deserved more playing time.

7. Seahawk

Seahawk Member

That was well played.

8. Crash

Crash Active Member

Who gives a shit what kind of players Coach K recruits? Black, white, sort of black, sort of white. He's running the program, he's recruiting the kids he wants, and he's won a shit ton of games with those players. That's his job.

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

They were together for all of two years. Not exactly a large window of opportunity in which to compete for titles.

10. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

He was actually Obama's personal assistant (and presumably hoops buddy) during the campaign. Not sure about after the election.

11. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Getting teabagged at a UNC party?

12. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Howard was an All-American for Michigan and is still playing (well, still active anyway) with the Heat. He's closing in on 1,200 NBA teams.

That's all pretty impressive from one recruiting class.
    [/quote]

That is impressive.

Draft saved Draft deleted