1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

In Fab Five 30 for 30, Jalen Rose said Coach K only recruits "Uncle Toms"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by NickMordo, Mar 8, 2011.

1. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

On ESPN this morning, Jalen Rose said that Coach K and Duke would not recruit inner-city black kids, so he called all the blacks who went to Duke (i.e. Grant Hill) "Uncle Toms." Now it's all over Twitter, but ESPN with its impeccable integrity ( ::)) will find a way to cover it up.

When ESPN asked Rose what they called a black kid who went to Michigan, he said, "Well, they don't call timeouts." (JOKE)

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

This should be fun. A pissing match between The University of Long Island at Durham and The University of Long Island at Ann Arbor. Neighborhood rivalry.

3. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

The Jimmy Walker in him is coming out.

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Average street-sense IQ of the so-called "FF": 74.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I'm really looking forward to watching this one.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I have no love for Duke or Coach K. I can see where Jalen Rose is coming from, but I think what is really the case is that Duke doesn't (or can't) recruit kids who don't value an education.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's what Will Avery and Elton Brand told me too.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I don't know. Coach K has had a lot of gang bangers on his team. Look at Bobby Duhon/ Jayson Williams/ Reggie Love/ Danny Ferry.

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Can't wait for the Dwarf clips.

10. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Anyone else think the Fab 5 have become wildly overrated historically?

I understand they had the lasting impact on pop culture and fashion, but they never really were the dominant team they get depicted as today. They never even won a Big 10 conference title. No group has ever squeezed more lasting attention out of a couple final four runs which, to be frank, is about the extent of their on court accomplishments.

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

No.

In fact, I would argue that what they accomplished is even less appreciated now, when freshmen and sophomores routinely take teams to NCAA Final Fours and championships. At the time, leaving early or skipping college alltogether was largely the exception, not the rule. Michigan went to the title game with five freshman starters. That was a remarkable feat, and it made coaches realize that the old saw about winning with veterans might not be so iron-clad.

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Reggie Love? What ever happened to him?

Draft saved Draft deleted