1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

In D.C. in a Couple of Weeks

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by doctorquant, Apr 20, 2015.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

A good way to kill a day is to take the Potomac ferry from the National Mall down to either Old Town Alexandria or National Harbor. It's a little pricey (I think round-trip tickets are $28 per person), but you see pretty much every monument along the way. There are a ton of great restaurants and bars at both destinations.

And, on the way back, you can take the ferry directly to Nats Park if you want.

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Although I love Ben's Chili Bowl, my new can't-miss stops in Dc are Jaleo for the rabbit and Le Caprice for the cream puffs.

3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

The actual tour is underwhelming and could be presented so much better, but seeing Ford's Theatre first-hand was cool. It is much smaller than I imagined.

And visiting the Vietnam Memorial and Lincoln Memorial is always an emotional, moving experience, no matter how many times you've been there before. There is a White House museum not at the White House that was pretty neat, too.

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Was there three days in Feb. and use Lyft the whole time.
    Simple to use app. Drivers were prompt and friendly. Cars were clean.
    And with the bonuses, I think I paid a total of about 70 cents.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Go to Dan's Cafe for drinks.

The pizza joint right by the Capital owned by a Top Chef contestant is very good. So is the burger place right next door.

And I never can remember the name of the hotel that has a balcony bar that overlooks the White House. I've been there a few times, it's always odd to see Secret Service snipers watching you eat with gigantic binoculars.

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Why would you be eating with giant binoculars?

Mr. Sunshine likes this.
  7. sostartled

sostartled Member

Spike Mendelsohn. Great recommendations. We, The Pizza is awesome. Good Stuff Eatery (the burger joint), owned by the same chef, is also awesome. Great milkshakes.

8. Inky_Wretch

I'm a corporate drone now, so my writing has declined (not that it was all that great anyway). Sorry.

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

No need to apologize. I'm just joshing.

10. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Used to be known as the Hotel Washington. Probably still is.

11. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

See. THAT's the kind of shit I need to know when planning a vacation. That right there. I'd love to go there.

12. Inky_Wretch

Yes, sort of. W Washington DC. They changed the name of the balcony to POV. You can see the view here.

POV Washington D.C. | W Washington D.C. Hotel

Draft saved Draft deleted