1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

In case you thought racism was dead ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jr/shotglass, Mar 17, 2014.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Au contrair. The message board do-gooders here on the twin hot-button subjects of racism and bullying take themselves *very* seriously.

2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

If they took their crusades THAT seriously, they wouldn't have time to post about them on a message board. I thought that was a given.

3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Nobody's allowed to feel passionately about an issue ... or they can feel passionately about it as long as they don't express themselves?

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Of course they are. I've been an observer of this site as long as you, (actually more, with your couple of vacations :) ) This is a tangent to this thread itself, but I've always looked in wonder at the extreme outrage the board collectively throws at idiots who spew invective with their twitter guns... or at a basketball game.... Then if someone has a substance problem, and is driving around impaired in a two ton weapon of destruction (a Jim Irsay-type) there's lots of "I'm not going to kick somebody in the nuts when he's down" or "The older I get, the more sympathy I have for addictions like this. "

Just my own little observance of the board... it interests me, not anybody else I am sure.

I am sorry I've sounded like I've belittled anybody's passion for issues.

5. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Or, you could treat message-board opinions as what they are: message-board opinions, and nothing more.

6. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I sort of see his point, though. The two reactions he describes are amusingly contradictory, yet they often come out of the same person.

7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

This is the way the "marketplace of ideas" is supposed to work; expose those who say stupid things for the ignorance they show.

8. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Good to see Tim Robinson got another job after getting bounced from Saturday Night Live.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Racism is dead?

In what universe?

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Yeah, I was wondering about that too. Not sure why anyone would think that.

11. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Just watch the left talk about any African-American conservative and you'd know it's not dead.

12. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Just watch the right talk about any mixed-race president, and you'd know it's not dead.

Draft saved Draft deleted