1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

IN BOX (1) - JOB INQUIRY

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by fishwrapper, Oct 18, 2007.

1. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I don't see what the problem is, guys. ...

2. lono

lono Active Member

If he offers to repay you for hiring him by giving you 20 percent of the $60 million fortune his late father amassed as the oil minister of Alkanastan run away, fast as you can.

3. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Shocking

4. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Send the e-mail to Singleton and tell him you've found the future icon of journalism.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Hey, that's my line! ;D

6. Eagleboy

Eagleboy Guest

I had plenty of people that e-mailed me while running the school paper in college that went something along the lines of,

"hi,

my name is stevie mcdreamy and i wanna write for the sports department. i love sports soo much and it would be a great dream for me to be able to covers sports at you're paper. i havent ever had any writting experience but i love the red sox the mariners the buccanneers and bowling green and know everything about all those teams. so i would really like to cover some sports for the paper please.

thanks."

Most of those e-mails were disposed of with just one click. I figure that if someone, even at such a low level on the food chain, can not only fail to see it as an actual job but can't WRITE CORRECTLY, they shouldn't be allowed to practice.

Then again, I also prevented people from working there simply because I didn't like them for one reason or another, so what do I know?

7. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Really? I'm not sure what is more troubling. That's he has a degree from an American institution or to the degree he doesn't know the language. Either way, I'm not touching it.

8. DGRollins

DGRollins Member

Actually, wouldn't the best response be "YOUR HIRED!"

9. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

Wow. I would give him a call and tell him politely that there isn't any openings. Then, tell him how silly his email looked and sounded. That is just ridiculous. Please do that, the embarrassment is worth not knowing he sounds like an illiterate.

If you want to get back at him, send him to work at a JRC paper. He will be sports editor in 3 weeks.

10. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Call him? Posted is the entire inquiry.
    All I have is some silly email address. I'm treating this one like Ebola.
    Sorry to all the reporters who never got receipt of a job inquiry. I'm guilty on this one.

11. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

When this guy turns into the next Bill Simmons, and spends 10 years railing about how fishwrapper wasn't able to recognize his brilliance and hand him a column at age 23, I'm hoping fishwrapper doesn't put a gun in his mouth going to be sad.

12. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Shit. So much for my degree from Unconscious State...

Draft saved Draft deleted