1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

In Book, Sugar Ray Leonard Says Coach Sexually Abused Him

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, May 17, 2011.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Boxing's version of Graham James?

Wonder if we'll learn more about this.

2. mrbio

mrbio Member

Wow. This sure should help promote the book. What a spectacular fighter he was in his prime years. One of the best ever.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Buzz Bissinger casts doubt on Leonard's story. That's pretty fucked up.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Wow. Buzz has every right to his opinion, and to some extent, be pissed/weary of the revelation, but it might be a lot better served by keeping his opinion to himself, especially on that topic.

5. I don't know. I'm starting to become skeptical of a lot of these claims my self.
    Like that American Idol judge's recent claims.. If true, it's terrible, but the fact a lot of the so-called predators are never identified makes me wonder.
    Celebs crave attention, positive and negative. And there is no stigma to being a victim of abuse so there is no harm for them to claim to have been victimized. It generates them more $ympathy and $upport, especially when their star power is fading.
    I don't know ...

Add: If not Buzz then who, if anyone, should question the claims? He has a point about the timing and SRL's penchant for self-marketing. Maybe more journalists need to check this stuff out. Lord knows we can't rely on publishers to fact check.

6. mrbio

mrbio Member

Buzz might be on to something.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I defiitely think he is. I wouldn't want to be wrong though...

8. ringer

ringer Active Member

I totally get why Sugar Ray would keep it to himself.

It's one thing to tell someone about your own horrendous actions. It's quite another to publicly admit being a victim of something that you had no control over. Who can blame Sugar Ray for trying to own/control the one part of his life that he never had control over?

At the same time -- how arrogant for any author to think he/she is entitled to knowing every last detail of someone's life. And worse, to suggest -- based on nothing more than an unfulfilled sense of entitlement -- that someone's confession is a marketing ploy instead of the truth.

Okay, it is a little weird that Sugar Ray didn't name the perpetrator -- but that's also a clue that he's probably still alive (and could sue for libel). An enterprising journalist, rather than moan about being kept in the dark about this, would do some real investigative reporting to figure out who the coach was, crack the case, and break the story.

9. mrbio

mrbio Member

Ringer TKO Buzz

10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

People react to trauma differently. Some block it out entirely, some try to ignore it, some confront it. Who knows what sort of relationship Ray had with Buzz vs. the author of the new autobiography, but that also likely played a role.

It is one thing to want to see the accusation vetted. It's another thing to be a flaming prick about it.

Draft saved Draft deleted