1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

In an interview on Monday arranged by Republican strategists...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by YankeeFan, Jun 3, 2014.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The Times is clearly annoyed at having to cover this, and makes sure they tell us how some interviews were arranged:

“Yes, I’m angry,” Joshua Cornelison, a former medic in Sergeant Bergdahl’s platoon, said in an interview on Monday arranged by Republican strategists. “Everything that we did in those days was to advance the search for Bergdahl. If we were doing some mission and there was a reliable report that Bergdahl was somewhere, our orders were that we were to quit that mission and follow that report.”

nyti.ms/1kDk2ab

I think it's great. I'm all for having this information. But, I don't remember language like this in other stories. Is it standard for the Times? Should it be?

2. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Why are Republican strategists arranging interviews?

And I think noting it is worthwhile and important to the larger point that the screechfest is being egged on by Republicans trying to gain some political advantage.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The guy's backstory is bad enough that he shouldn't need to be swiftboated.

The fact that he is being swiftboated actually makes me wonder if the story is as bad as what we've read so far.

Highly relevant to point out that the GOP is so heavily invested in one outcome.

4. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Who cares? The only thing it does is attach the GOP to a certain position regarding Bergdahl's release - a position Republicans have firmly entrenched themselves in anyway.

5. YankeeFan

Well, the term "Republican Strategist" is a little subjective. Likely, these are PR people who traditionally work with Republican candidates, or on "Republican" causes.

They have media contacts, and can help these folks who want to speak with the press get in contact with influential media members.

There's nothing inherently wrong with that.

The same thing happened after Sandy Hook. But, I don't recall the Times mentioning that any interviews were arranged by Democratic Strategists. Now, maybe in that case, it's because the Times actively worked the story, and found the people they wanted to talk to. But, "strategists" were definitely working with those families, getting them booked on TV, and getting them appointments with law makers.

In this case, it would have been much harder for the Times, or others, to quickly find service members who served with this guy. They came forward, and they likely reached out to people they trusted, and were put in touch with these "strategists" who helped them navigate the media waters.

6. LongTimeListener

You're doing that thing where you create a "fact" again.

7. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

You make it so benign.

Dude's been missing for five years, it isn't a breaking news event so quickly isn't key here.

This coverage is being stage managed by some in the Republican Party with the hopes of ginning up a scandal to feed the base and cause a problem for Democrats.

8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I'm wondering how well the narrative about six people dying in attempts to rescue him will hold up to additional scrutiny.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

You have to remember that the questions about Bergdahl have been around
    for a while. Even Rolling Stone raised the AWOL issue.

That said, it does seem like The Times has not gone out
    of their way on this story until today. They have lagged a bit.

10. YankeeFan

Which part isn't true?

Is it not a fact that Democratic Party aligned media strategists worked with the Sandy Hook families to get them booked on tv, and get them meetings with law makers?

11. LongTimeListener

Is that a fact?

12. YankeeFan

Yes. I posted it on the thread at the time.

I could probably find it, but I need to go to work soon.

It's still odd to me.

Interviews of all sorts are arranged by PR firms, and media advisors. How often is that mentioned in the article, or interview that results?

And, again, I'm ok with it. I just think it should be a uniform policy.

Let's see who's pushing the narrative in all instances.

Draft saved Draft deleted