1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

In an industry ravaged by the likes of Gatehouse/Gannett, what companies are still good to work for?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SoloFlyer, Sep 4, 2018.

1. ICanRowCanoe?

ICanRowCanoe? Member

I'm an editor for Adance.
    Lol. Why would I make it up? I'll PM you the details. Don't really need to post this for all the world to read.

2. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

OK, ICanRow, I believe you. I'm impressed that at least one company still treats their employees like they matter. I think I'd stay there if I were you.

3. Danwriter

Danwriter Member

Freelance, freelance, freelance. Build a stable of pubs/outlets that need what you do. Yeah, you'll have to deal with getting you own healthcare insurance, but having checks coming in from multiple sources cushions the blows when one (or two or three) blow up on you. Haven't gotten a W-2 in 32 years.

4. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Copy editors? What are those?

5. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

This is risky advice. The freelance market is substantially different than when you started 32 years ago. Stringer budgets have been cut at newspapers across the country. Magazines don't have the same newsholes they once did. And pure web traffic often doesn't pay as much.

Hell, even one of the old reliable stringer wire services, the Sports Exchange, no longer exists.

6. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Those are the people who cover the game and keep the stats and work the magic Twitter box and take the photos and shoot the video and then come back to the office and lay out the section and then they write some headlines. And two blogs.

7. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

You're best friends. If your paper doesn't have them, you should quit.

UPChip, Bronco77 and Waldo9939 like this.
  8. Tarheel316

Raven, I was joking. Should have used the blue font. Copy editors are everything. It’s unglamorous work but vital.

9. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Read that again, Tarheel. Picture it in blue font. :)

10. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

OK, I got to know: Y'all mostly edit, or y'all mostly dance?

C Jackson Cowart likes this.
  11. Tarheel316

Yeah, you’re right.lol

12. writingump

writingump Member

The Sports Xchange still exists, but only for game previews. Definitely not what it used to be.

Draft saved Draft deleted