1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

In an industry ravaged by the likes of Gatehouse/Gannett, what companies are still good to work for?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SoloFlyer, Sep 4, 2018.

1. ICanRowCanoe?

ICanRowCanoe? Member

I don't want to out myself, but I work for a chain that's been mentioned, and I really don't have any complaints. Ridiculously flexible schedule that lets me work from home whenever I want, pretty decent salary, fine benefits, and most importantly, annual bonuses. I believe they're 7.5 percent for most of us and 10 percent for "managers." Between that and tax returns, we get a nice cash infusion every spring.

2. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

Are you a reporter?

3. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

I have in previous posts.

4. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

This sounds like fiction.

5. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Found out years later that at one of my newsrooms, reporters who broke a good story would get called into the executive editor's office and get handed cash bonuses. Not pocket change, either. Some of those secret bonuses were in the thousands of dollars.

Somebody left a spreadsheet lying in the wrong place one night, and a friend got a long, hard look at it. The spreadsheet listed hefty bonuses paid to reporters and senior editors, etc., but not one copy editor or designer ever got one, even in situations involving huge challenges or situational duress, and in fact the bonuses remained an inside secret all along.

Bronco77 and Tweener like this.
  6. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

Don't know of anything this blatant happening anywhere I've worked, but it's no surprise. It is (or maybe "was," because so few of us remain employed) the nature of the copy-editing beast. I'm seeing it now at my current shop -- after going on a "What do those guys do all day?" rant, the top editor has ordered changes in the workflow that basically have doubled the workload for the word-editing staff -- along with the admonition to "rein in your overtime."

7. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

If an editor wanted to incentivize reporters, why do it in secret? I work in an ambitious newsroom with a staff full of hungry reporters who regularly break huge stories, but adding cash incentives would further intensify the work, like pouring gasoline on a fire.

8. Severian

Nothing good ever comes when attaching cash incentives to reporting.

9. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

I don't believe it, especially considering your chain has already been mentioned in this thread. What chain?

10. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Probably shouldn't have gone on that "What do those guys do all day rant," huh?

11. Severian

I, too, would like to know which chain @ICanRowCanoe works for. I'd also like some clarification on "decent salary."

12. Severian

No love for copy editors. SMH.

Doc Holliday and Waldo9939 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted