1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

In all seriousness, can someone recommend me a political message board?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by schiezainc, Mar 22, 2010.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Charlie Daniels board has some pretty concise rules and things don't get out of hand. I guess no one wants to get fiddled to death.

First of all let me thank everybody for reading and commenting on this
    column and I want you to know that your responses are not edited out because you disagree with me, in fact, far from it.

But Bruce is being accused of playing favorites in what he allows and
    disallows to appear in the comment section. Bruce is not playing favorites at all, he's only going by the ground rules and for those of you who don't know here they are.

1. I will not have my readers subjected to foul language. It's just as easy
    to write your opinions without the garbage.

2. We will not allow personal vendettas to be carried on in this column. If
    you want to insult somebody do it on their private address.

3. We do not advertise products and events unless it's something I write
    about in the soapbox.

4. Threats to anyone are promptly turned over to the F.B.I.

This column and forum is intended to promote ideas and opinions, pro or con and email responses are only edited for the causes listed above.

Charlie Daniels

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Hey, Charlie, show us your tits!

3. 21

21 Well-Known Member

The FBI, why didn't we think of that?

We have to get Charlie over here.

4. dooley_womack1

Been there, done that: COCKDIAN! was working undercover.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The FBI has kindly requested that we not bother them with every member-to-member threat of physical violence, sexual assault, self-mutilation and inappropriate gift-giving on this board.

6. With all due respect, Moddy, this analogy doesn't quite fit since this particular place calls itself "the Internet's Most Popular Place for Journalists."
    What you ordered was that no one was allowed to discuss one of the biggest news stories around, one that happened to include politics. I know it's crazy for major news stories to include politics instead of cheating golfers or other sports issues. But journalists typically like to discuss news, which has previously had a place on the sports & news board.

What you did wasn't so much moderating as much as it was intimidating and/or dictating and I don't see how you can be happy with that as a journalist.
    On the list of issues for a journalists board I don't get how name-calling ranks higher than trying to dictate what people can and cannot discuss. I'd much rather be called an "f-ing idiot" than be told I can't say something -- unless it's seriously offensive or insensitive.

And there is the best opening I can leave for folks who want to disagree with me ...

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I have no idea if this is feasable with the software we have, but is it possible to have a politics board restricted to a subset of posters? Maybe start off with everyone allowed on, but if you abuse the rules you are gone from that board, no questions asked. You could also institute a minimum number of posts and/or length of time on the board to gain access, which should help cut down on the sock puppet issue.

8. dooley_womack1

Oscar3 still lives! :D

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

You monitor that!

How 'bout you just go somewhere else to discuss politics and hang here to discuss non-politics? I mean, with a mean and hard-assed moderator (I laugh every time someone calls me intimidating, whichis about as big a joke as you can find).

10. dooley_womack1

Moddy likes show tunesnot that there's anything wrong with that. How much of a hardass can he be?

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Be that as it may, I was convinced someone who used to post here was the Unibomber. The FBI needed to know about him!

12. dooley_womack1

Actually, someone had an avatar that was the Unabomber.

Draft saved Draft deleted