1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Imus Sued By Rutgers Hoopster

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Flying Headbutt, Aug 15, 2007.

1. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

I have absolutely no idea who that girl is. Just being on TV isn't enough. Outside of the few Rutgers and womens hoops fans, does anyone know who she is? I would not call her a public figure.

She wasn't mentioned specifially either. Imus may be a knob, but I hope she gets nothing out of this. Your feelings got hurt, move on with life.

And Ragu, isn't that how Larry Flynt won his case, because it was so outrageous and absurd it couldn't be construed as being true?

2. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Interesting...listening to C Viv being interviewed on the show that used to be Cold Pizza (apparently the interview had been scheduled before the lawsuit became public)....she says she was surprised by the lawsuit and wouldn't comment on it, except to say it was hearsay to her, she had been out of town, knew nothing about it. The University seems to be distancing itself from the suit as well.

Would be interested to know how the teammates feel about the whole thing.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Good point about not knowing who she is.

I mean, past Quinn last season, how many John Q. Publics knew any other Notre Dame football players? Who makes that decision?

But that makes it important that if you agree to play for a college and represent them, even on the bench, then you should be deemed a public figure. You cannot split a team down the middle or an athletic department.

How do you draw the line about who a public figure is or isn't on an athletic team? I mean one Thanksgiving morning you wake up and you are Clint Longley, and then Thanksgiving ends and you are Clint Longley.

What about D-III?

What about a high school kid? O.J. Mayo for example.

What about under 18? Over 18? Adults?

My take is all college athletes are fair game. High schoolers, no matter how much ESPN hypes them, should not be, and they SHOULD NEVER BE ON ESPN unless they are an incredible human intrest story.

This is a interesting topic. I am interested to see where it ends.

4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

And this excellent point from Jemele Hill, in the next segment on that same show, and I am paraphrasing:

The team's position when this first happened was that the incident would not define them, Imus would not define them, and he couldn't damage who they were as women and athletes. This lawsuit basically says, 'You called me something terrible, you defined me and damaged me and it stuck.'

5. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Excellent point, indeed.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

And when Mel Kiper says a qb has a weak arm or has trouble reading defenses? Does this define who they are? It will cost the player money and prejudice a fan's reaction to them being drafted by their favorite team.

It stinks for her, but I think college athletes being able to sue media commentators for stating an opinion starts to open some dangerous doors.

If she was a general student, then she has a right. But as a player, you agree to represent your school by accepting a scholarship. With this scholarship comes some responsibility.

Not saying it is fair in this case, but I feel it is wrong to allow her to sue.

7. I'm suing everyone who's ever made fun of me on this board. My being called a "fraud", "clown" and "f-tard" have defined me. I have been damaged.

8. I thought about that, too.

The headline on Court TV would be: Ho or No?

9. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Let the brown bunny treatment for the I-Man begin.
    I almost wonder if one of the I-Man's confederates put Kia Vaughn up to this suit to kick-start his image rehab. He gets to be Mr. Picked-On Figure of Pity, which helps him land a new radio gig, and she gets some cash out of it after the suit is quietly withdrawn.

10. Doesn't accepting a college scholarship open you to criticism? That would be my argument. The whole "with great power comes great responsibility" thing.
    She put herself out there, in front of millions of people, and opened herself to people's opinions.
    If I'm a judge, I'm looking at that and going, "Case dismissed."

11. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

The one part of the column's allegation I don't get is that Imus' statement is causing me to look at this girls and wonder how much it would cost for an 'around the world'. Uhm, maybe it's just me but that was likely the last thought that would enter most people's minds, especially based on the context of Imus' idiot comments.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

If I am Imus's attorney the first thing I would do is ask to see her IPOD and find out what she is listening to.

With great irony I just finished reading a story about ND defensive tackle/ Student athlete Derrel Hand - who was arrested for soliciting a prostitute.

Draft saved Draft deleted