1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Imus Sued By Rutgers Hoopster

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Flying Headbutt, Aug 15, 2007.

1. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

I wholeheartedly agree!

2. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, but did I miss the part where Imus ran on the court, knocked someone off the ladder while cutting down the net, grabbed the microphone and said what he said?

Oh, no. I didn't. Turns out he said it a day later. So their "moment" was just fine. Their week might have been fucked up, but the moment, no problems there.

Yeah, that must have been rough. A whole nation rising up to defend them. The poor kids. I hope they recover.

The parts in bold are so stupid, that I wonder if I entirely misunderstood this column. As someone else said, is this for or against filing?

If it's for, then what the fuck do the bolded parts mean? If it's against ... I'm sorry.

3. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I ain't sayin' she's a golddigga'...

4. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

We were talking about this at work tonight and if she would happen to win, this would set a very dangerous precedent with regards to "defamation of character" cases.

IF she wins, every columnist/talk show host will have to walk a fine line constantly. Hell, even comedians may have to watch what they say as to avoid being sued (see also, Michael Richards).

Look, I'm sorry her and her little team couldn't get over being called "nappy-headed ho's." But this political correctness bullshit is getting out of hand.

5. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

Nation of Islam is a satirical blog.

I also noticed that she sued everyone except ESPiN and the WWL. Maybe by not naming them in the suit, she's attempting to have a semblance of a WNBA career.

It's all bullshit. He didn't name her specifically. And I'm sick of everyone on that team mooning for the camera in an attempt to put a little extra mayo on their "awww, I'm hurt, but I've risen above it all, now give me a book deal or something" handout.

In the words of Olivia Soprano and her son, Tony, "Awwww, poor you."

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

career victims.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Where does public figure start?

These women accepted a basketball scholarship from a public institution, represent the school and play on national television. It has been written many times the Vick is a scumbag, Owens is an idiot, Knight is a madman and Daly is a trainwreck and they are not suing newspapers or tv and radio stations. I know this is pushing the public figure envelope and what cannot be said and not be said, but what about the First Amendment?

If she/they win, does this open up a point guard suing a commentator for saying they made a poor decision or bringing up the player was suspended from their high school team?

I think this a potentially troubling case.

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I'd like to thank this person for filing this lawsuit so I could be reminded that she exists. I had forgotten about it within three days of the whole event in the first place.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

if these idiots hadn't thrown themselves on the fire, we all would have forgotten about imus' stupid remark in 2.5 minutes.

10. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Yeah to pay the lawyers for this suit that has no chance.

You being fair-minded at any point in your life is more likely than success in court with this one.

11. Or never heard about it in the first place, since I don't know anyone who actually listened to him.

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Suing for what? Name-calling? Laughable.

Draft saved Draft deleted