1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Imus Sued By Rutgers Hoopster

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Flying Headbutt, Aug 15, 2007.

1. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

http://abcnews.go.com/TheLaw/story?id=3479449&page=1

2. Sportsbruh

Sportsbruh Member

Get ya money Gal.

3. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I can't believe I agree with sportsbruh, but I'm glad Imus is being sued.

4. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

[​IMG]

Word to your mother

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

His being sued bothers me.

6. No way. I don't remember anything in this case to warrant libel, especially when it comes time for her to prove damages - she and the program will probably benefit more in the long run than if it didn't happen.

He called the team hos, but not her specifically (that I remember). You can get away with that in groups. We call University of Miami thugs and criminals all the time ... not libel. Not damaging her career or her reputation.

7. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Me too. His "joke" might have been in poor taste, but you can't legislate taste.

If she were to win this suit, what would stop Paris Hilton or Britney Spears or anyone else from filing lawsuits claiming defamation, emotional distress and the like? This lawsuit will go nowhere. See the Supreme Court scene in "The People vs. Larry Flynt."

p.s. Write-brained, it wouldn't be libel here, it would slander because it's the spoken word.

8. Well, for one the story says it:

Kia Vaughn, star center for the Rutgers Women's Basketball team, has filed a lawsuit against Imus for libel, slander and defamation -- the first civil suit to be filed against the former radio host. Vaughn is asking for monetary damages of an unspecified amount.

And two, I'm a print guy so I think in terms of libel. Other than one is written word, and the other is verbal, the rules are pretty much the same.

9. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Well, the libel part could be thrown out right now. I don't recall him writing anything about the Rutgers women.

10. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Can it not count when his comments were reported? Because what he said was entered into written record?

I don't know, I'm just asking.

11. I'm sure the attorney just put libel in there as a catch-all.

Isn't it all the same, though, other than one's written and one's verbal? Is there a difference in what one has to prove or not prove? If so, I don't see her case.

12. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

She won't win this case. Tabloids and Web sites like TMZ wouldn't exist if it were that easy to win lawsuits like this.

Draft saved Draft deleted